The Blueberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blueberries are very acidic. I've experimented with taking them off the lees at different specific gravities to counteract this phenomena. I'm still not decided on which SG makes for the smoothest wine, but I believe it's somewhere between 1060 and 1040. As Scooter68 has mentioned, there can be quite a bite from this variety that needs mellowing. I have a few batches stuck at 1020-1030 range too, that I've been trying to start back up unsuccessfully.

Blueberries are very acidic. I've experimented with taking them off the lees at different specific gravities to counteract this phenomena. I'm still not decided on which SG makes for the smoothest wine, but I believe it's somewhere between 1060 and 1040. As Scooter68 has mentioned, there can be quite a bite from this variety that needs mellowing. I have a few batches stuck at 1020-1030 range too, that I've been trying to start back up unsuccessfully.

It's a pretty easy fruit to work with, it behaves much like grapes do in terms of breaking down and pressing, just a little smaller fruit. The biggest challenge is certainly dealing with the acid, but if you do it up front, it's really pretty easy. As long as you get your pH up above 3.25 or so and give the yeast some food, it really shouldn't get stuck unless you're having problems with some other parameter. It came out pretty smooth at just a few months of age, but even at 3.42, still has a little bite to it. I expect that will improve with age and due to the acidity, it should be able to age quite well, time will tell.

Latest posts

Back