WineXpert Zin/Shiraz ferment odor and temp issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayzala

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

I made a WineXpert World Vineyard Zin/Shiraz on Sunday and as of today is bubbling away. My question is: I made a swamp cooler with an aquarium heater and pump to circulate the water. Testing the water temp this morning it was at 77° and the heater was off (I unplugged the pump thinking that it was creating the extra heat). Yesterday it smelled great now it has an off smell, not like rotten eggs and not green apple but something else... Would 77 be too high a temp for the yeast that comes with the kit? Could that be whats causing the odors?
Another question, if i were to bulk age, what would be a "Plan" for me to follow (i follow instructions very well, not so good at writing them)
Thanks in advance.
Andy

. Would 77 be too high a temp for the yeast that comes with the kit?

I really doubt it. That temperature is fine for nearly all standard yeasts. Do you know what yeast came with the kit? In all probability, it was EC-1118. That yeast can tolerate temperatures up to 95F, with temperatures between 59 and 77 being listed by the manufacturer as "ideal."

Can you try again to think of a descriptor for what you are smelling?

Thank you for the reply, i woke up this morning and it was at 73° much better!

The smell however is still there and I really can't put a finger on it, its kinda musty and smells like stale fruit (but not really grape). My wife just took a whiff and said it smells like rotting apples. I don't smell the apples but my nose isn't want it use to be. If it is apples then could it be Acetaldehyde (if I'm spelling that right)? If so what can be done? anything? I think i read that the yeast might clean it up by itself. Fingers crossed.

As for the yeast, and this being my first kit, i threw out the yeast packet before writing it down. I'll do better next time.

Thanks Again

Last edited:
If your water temp was 77, your must/wine temp was likely a couple degrees warmer than that since fermentation creates its own heat, and it would have taken the water a while to equilibriate.

According to the UC-Davis website on acetaldehyde, its production is increased with increasing temperature, and it describes the smell as rotten apples. Given that info, elevated acetaldehyde is a possibiity, although its presence may not negatively affect the finished wine. If the temp dropped fairly quickly, I'd hazard a guess that the wine will be OK.

Thank You All,

I'm resting a little easier now (as long as i can follow the rest of the instructions correctly).

Latest posts

Back