32 gallon container good for 15 gallons of wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoSourGrapes

Junior
Reaction score
Newbie here from Nor California. I have access to Rhone varietals and planning on 15 gallons of Cab Franc. If I were to pick a 32 gallon container full, use a motorized destemmer and a manual press, would that 32 gallons of grapes net 15 gallons of wine?

That is a pretty rough measurement to make an educated guess. It should be close, but figure about 15-18 pounds per gallon of finished wine. What are you fermenting in? Another 32 gallon container? You need enough room to allow for the cap to rise. I can get about 250 pounds or so in one and that allows for about the right amount of cap rise.

Very hard to say. Volumes can change from year to year and grape to grape. some years the grapes are juicier than other years so volume is not the way to go.

Most folks judge by weight. The figure I use is that 36 pounds of grapes will get you about 5 gallons of must.

Rhone varietals:

Syrah, grenache, mourvedre maybe with cinsault, carignan and petite sirah.

Cab Franc is a Bordeaux varietal.

I agree with the others. It's hard to estimate volume of grapes - especially as whole clusters, because of different cluster size and density of clusters. Weight is a more accurate measure for the grapes.

Thank you for the replies. I have Cab Franc, Petite Syrah, Mourvèdre, Grenache and Petit Verdot available to me. My plan was to buy a few of the Rubbermaid Brute 32 gallon NSF pails, with castors. Load the picked grapes in the pail, destem and then ferment into another. It needs to be able to accommodate 15 gallons worth of finished juice, which is why I was wondering if there is a known range of grapes by volume to finished juice.

Back