Packlab Blend/Top Up Suggestions for Pinot Noir ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TODDO

Junior
Reaction score
Which varietal would you recommend for blending or top up of Pinot Noir?

Merlot maybe?

Well, the other Burgundian red varietal is Gamay, so that would be a natural choice for blending. However, I am guessing that, since you seem to be asking for alternatives to Pinot Noir itself, that Gamay would be even harder to come by.

I think Merlot would work fine. Maybe a Tempranillo or a Grenache may work a little better.

Thanks.

As well, the kit came with no oak !

I'm not expecting too much from this kit, as it was inexpensive (Paklab), however I'm using it for some practice tweaking.

I was thinking of med. French chips/beans in for bulk aging?
Or would this be too much for Pinot?

Should I start another thread on this?

Thanks.

As well, the kit came with no oak !

I'm not expecting too much from this kit, as it was inexpensive (Paklab), however I'm using it for some practice tweaking.

I was thinking of med. French chips/beans in for bulk aging?
Or would this be too much for Pinot?

Should I start another thread on this?
I've made that kit a couple of times. I would use a Merlot for topping and would certainly add French Oak. This kit does not make a true Pinot Noir but it does make a decent drinkable cheap bottle of wine. I think you will like it.

I've used Merlot to top off the two RJS Pinot Noir kits. Each time top off was ~1L of Merlot. First kit has been drunk except for two bottles (to be gifted) - very pleased with results considring a $75.00 4-week kit. 2nd kit is now bulk aging which was not done for the first. I'm expecting 2nd kit to be a bit better due to the bulk aging before bottle aging.

Thanks for the replies. I will go with the merlot and oak.

I was a little hesitant on this kit, as I recently did another "all juice" Paklab kit of Pinotage, and the early samples are not real promising. Nasty actually. We'll see if some time in the bottle may improve that one.

Here is what I did with a Paklab Pinot. I used the chenin blanc to get it off the shelf. I wasn't planning on making another white wine. At bottling I thought it really sucked, and I had 29 bottles of cooking wine. I made the Sterling Pinot and needed to top off so I grabbed one of those Palkab Pinots, now a month old. I tasted it first, what a change. It drinks really well now and has further to go.

I got lucky and time heals most wine.

Batch ID RESERVE DU CHATEAU Pinot Noir
Variety Pinot Noir
Colour Red
Must Type 6.1 L
Source Paklab
Batch Size 23
Cost 45+17
Start Date Jun 25, 2013

Measurements
Date Sugar TA pH SO2 Temp.
Jun 25, 2013 1.12

Additions
Date Quantity Addition
Jun 25, 2013 2 cup Med Toast Oak chips - boiled - water added
Jun 25, 2013 46 oz Chenin Blanc Sun Country Conc

Fermentation
Type Start Date End Date Yeast/Culture
Alcoholic Fermentation Jun 25, 2013 ec-1118

So....I went with just a cup of medium toast Frenck oak, boiled, and added what was left of the water as well. Smelled amazing! I thought it a good idea to use a muslin bag that I had left from a grapeskin kit, to hold the chips....ah.. no.....it won't fit in the neck of the carboy. Thought it was a good idea. Topped up with half bottle of merlot, and it's off to bulk age. Fingers crossed.

One other question: Should I add K-meta at this point? The kit had a packet of "stabilizer." that I don't remember seeing in the other Paklab kits. Would that be k-meta or sorbate? I typically add 1/4 tsp K-meta for bulk aging, but I'm not sure if it's already there?

So....I went with just a cup of medium toast Frenck oak, boiled, and added what was left of the water as well. Smelled amazing! I thought it a good idea to use a muslin bag that I had left from a grapeskin kit, to hold the chips....ah.. no.....it won't fit in the neck of the carboy. Thought it was a good idea. Topped up with half bottle of merlot, and it's off to bulk age. Fingers crossed.

One other question: Should I add K-meta at this point? The kit had a packet of "stabilizer." that I don't remember seeing in the other Paklab kits. Would that be k-meta or sorbate? I typically add 1/4 tsp K-meta for bulk aging, but I'm not sure if it's already there?

I'm not sure what that mystery powder is either. I would go ahead and add 1/4 tsp k-meta anyway.

Latest posts

Back