Hanna ph Meter Supplies, Solutions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtwinemaker

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a Hanna Model 98128 ph meter. What solutions and supplies do I need? Also, should I purchase individual packets or bottles of solutions?

VTwinemaker

Your need the calibration solutions 4.01 and 7.01.
You need either the storage solution or you can store meter tip in the 4.01 solution. I would get the storage solution, myself

Probably the bottles of solution are better than the packets, unless you have extra money to burn. The packets are pretty much throw-away, because there is very little liquid in them to try to save.

Yea buy the small bottles of solutions and find some small mini jam or jelly jars. Real small. Ones that can hold maybe 2-3 ounces to keep some solution in yet be wide enough to get your meter and probes wet. The bulk of the solution you can keep in some bigger tightly sealed jars. Both preferably glass.

Store in a cool dark place.

While you are ordering solutions get a 1X Sodium Hydroxide soultion. You can use this and your meter to take acid tests.

I've been using baby food jars. So far it seems to work well. Small enough to not use a lot and wide enough for the meter to fit.

pH calibrators

MoreWine has the two pH calibrators you will need at a good price. Here is a link to the product.

http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/18717/beerwinecoffee/pH_Calibration_Solutions_Set_of_2

You will also need an elctrode cleaner. Wine will stain and clog the electrode. I purchased a large bottle of this directly from Hanna. It was just a few bucks more to upsize the volume. This is product HI 7061, and I was charged about $27 dollars including shiping for a 500 ml bottle.

Here is what Hanna recommends for cleaning. This was obtained from my Hanna Phep 4 manual.

"To prolong the life of the pH electrode, it is
recommended to clean it monthly by immersing it in
the HI 7061 cleaning solution for half an hour.
Afterwards, rinse it thoroughly with tap water and
recalibrate the meter."

I find it helpful to call Hanna directly. There is a fellow there who is their wine expert regarding pH meters and supplies. The guys name is Dean and he was very informative. Here is a number you can call directly to Hanna.

Phone: 800.426.6287

Recently I spoke with Dean. He stressed keeping the electrode wet with storage solution (he said the 4.0 calibrator was fine). He also suggested keeping the meter in a zip lock bag. This will help prevent evaporation of the storage solution.

I use small plastic tubes that tolerate freezing. I've frozen 4ml aliquots of calibrators. I'm hoping this will extend the shelf life of the calibrator as the open bottles only have a 3 month shelf life after opening.

I also have access to what you might describe as large medicine cups. These are perfect for calibrating and testing and can be reused after a good rinse with DI water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back