always keep primary bucket in washtub

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Poor me or lucky me. Ever since I read on the forums about primary buckets leaking from the bottom I always set my primary inside a plastic "pack all". Thank goodness as I started a batch of Cellar Craft Limited Release Carmenere Cabernet with super size grape pack. I started the kit and then left town on business for 3 days. on the first night my wife noticed the beginning of a leak. by the time I got home as you can see most had leaked out. Unfortunately my wife was not able to deal with the wine and save any of it.

leaking primary.jpg

Oh the pain, the pain...... Where was it leaking from? Spigot?

Did you, gulp...... dump it?

Tony, If it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all. Happy it was contained, but sorry for your loss. :hug

Sorry to hear this Tony. As Mike asked, was this from a spigot. We always warn folks not to buy primaries and better Bottles with them because so many of them fail. If not a spigot, how old was this pail that it failed already?

Seems to me if this was in the fermenting stage the wine is still salvagable.

Oh the pain, the pain...... Where was it leaking from? Spigot?

Did you, gulp...... dump it?

Leaked from bottom seam, just like several others have posted about. since I was some for three days it got worse and worse. My wife kept an eye on the progress and was standing by to call a friend if it might overflew the pack all. The pack all was large enough to contain it all. Had to dump it all. thinking if I want to get another, I think George still has some. I am going to be in Dallas in a couple weeks so that will give me a good reason to make my first visit to paradise and go see George.

Sorry to hear this Tony. As Mike asked, was this from a spigot. We always warn folks not to buy primaries and better Bottles with them because so many of them fail. If not a spigot, how old was this pail that it failed already?

Seems to me if this was in the fermenting stage the wine is still salvagable.
The pail was three years old and no spigot. I only use the one with spigot for bottling or stirring.

Tony contact the shop you bought the primary from. I know for a fact LD Carlson was reimbursing the shops for any brought in. I returned about five of them myself. I could see the cracks before they became an issue.

I can't believe you had the pail in a tote like that. You have to be one in a million, and boy was it a good thing.

Tony contact the shop you bought the primary from. I know for a fact LD Carlson was reimbursing the shops for any brought in. I returned about five of them myself. I could see the cracks before they became an issue.

I can't believe you had the pail in a tote like that. You have to be one in a million, and boy was it a good thing.

Someone on one of the forums suggested we all use the tote all if we have that certain brand of bucket that is known to fail.

George has it removed from the web as of today when I was poking around the site.

Maybe give him a call and cry on his shoulder......

I just pitched the yeast on this exact same kit this evening after work.......

If it turns out well and you can't get another one I will definitely send you a bottle!

Latest posts

Back