specific gravity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtburke86

Junior
Reaction score
My wine's specific gravity is lowering faster then my directions say it should be and I am having to rack it with a lower gravity. Is this a problem, and what will happen as a result.
Could I not be keeping it at a low enough temperature?
Thanks,
josh

My wine's specific gravity is lowering faster then my directions say it should be and I am having to rack it with a lower gravity. Is this a problem, and what will happen as a result.
Could I not be keeping it at a low enough temperature?
Thanks,
josh

Hi Josh,

directions are only a guidance not a rule. There are a lot of conditions that can cause a wine to lower slower or faster than other times. As long as it is going lower you are fine, it is when it stops and you end up with a stuck fermentation that the problems begin.

Dont worry about the quickness as long as your temps are good. Make sure you get a airlock on there when the sg gets around 1.020 if you dont have one on now as some of us ferment with airlocks.

To further clarify this.

There was another thread the other day, where the member was concerned because the ferment started so fast.

Better fast than waiting for days wondering if it is going to go.

But, having said that. What I meant to say is that a good ferment is obviously what you want.

There are some exceptions to this, provided you can control the environment around you, as far as temperaure is concerned.

Some wines, especially delicate ones, such as flowers and herbs, and even some grapes, like a slower ferment in cooler temps. If you have a good healthy yeast colony working, most yeasts will continue to ferment at low temps like 60's., some even lower. BUT, you have to get them to go first!

Some wines like citrus based, especially Pineaple will go absolutely crazy at warm temperatures, especially if you are talking over 75F.

A strong agressive ferment is always good, but it doesn't always mean it is going to give you the optimum result!

Anyone?

Last edited:
I erred in my Kit wine Sauvignon Blanc. I was supposed to rack from the primary when SG was at 1.01 or less and I mistakenly racked it into the secondary at 1.04 thinking it was at 1.004. The secondary SG is now down to 1.026 but has only dropped from the 1.04 in 16 days. I have been keeping the temperature at 72-75 but it seems to be slowing down in further fermenting (still getting bubble in airlock). Have I lost the wine or is there anything I can do further do to get the SG down to the .996 or less so it can be stabilized and fined? I can't believe I made this error!

Let it go...its just fine, you probably took out most of the active yeast when racking, thats why it slowed down, but those that are left will finish their job just as well.

I erred in my Kit wine Sauvignon Blanc. I was supposed to rack from the primary when SG was at 1.01 or less and I mistakenly racked it into the secondary at 1.04 thinking it was at 1.004. The secondary SG is now down to 1.026 but has only dropped from the 1.04 in 16 days. I have been keeping the temperature at 72-75 but it seems to be slowing down in further fermenting (still getting bubble in airlock). Have I lost the wine or is there anything I can do further do to get the SG down to the .996 or less so it can be stabilized and fined? I can't believe I made this error!

Like Doc. says you are fine. But you are also lucky. Sometimes when racking to secondary with a higher s.g. instead of slowing down the ferment will go crazy. If that would of happened instead, your post would of started with something like "I racked my wine to secondary too soon and now I have wine on the ceiling all over the bench and on the floor. Is it ruined??" Not ruined, just a nasty mess to clean up. LOL, BTW, I can laugh, I have had it happen. Arne.

Back