High Acidity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was talking with a local winery and she had said in WI, its always high acid. They haven't made a Marquette wine in a few years because of the acid and have made their Marquette in a rose style. The majority of vineyard owners I have spoke to use VSP systems to keep the fruit at a comfortable level to deal with and they feel its easier, more accommodating for mechanical pruning, etc.

My question is, if you get the fruiting zone up, such as with a GDC or TWC, wouldn't it get more sun? Wouldn't this additional sun help to lower acid levels or am I way off base?

Thanks!

Yes. I would agree with you. I have all my vines on a high wire. There are ways to deal with the acid. My Marquette has been turning out great by using an acid eating yeast (71b or Maurvin b), mlf, and cold stabilization.

it may help but normally the cause of the high acidity is that the grapes has not ripened entirely. A high cordon system would seem to help this but a longer summer would be better.

Latest posts

Back