Is this ok to use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DG2001

Reaction score
Is this still ok to use? I don't have another empty carboy. I would like to rack one more time to get off sediment before bottling. The wine is 9 months old and totally degassed. The crack is on the inside and doesn't go through the carboy. The center is about 1 mm and these are 3 small cracks that are about 1.5 mm long. I just got this carboy out of storage, so I haven't used it in a while. Thoughts?

Lol. I'll have to ask my son if he shot it with his BB gun.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mess with it.

What are those, bullet holes? :D

Would it be ok to rack to a 6.5 gallon carboy then clean the 5 gallon carboy its in now, then rack back to the 5 gallon? Or would you rack to the cracked carboy then rack back?

How do you know there aren't slivers of glass inside that carboy?

Get rid of it...By shooting it with something much bigger than a BB.

READ and HEED. The long-timers here will not lead you astray. Defective glass,,, TRASH IT!!!!!:ft

When you get a blemish like that on a car windshield, you always can see crack(s) grow over time as temps change.

Why risk 2 cases of wine over a damaged carboy?

I am with the others. Toss/smash it so that you never use that one by mistake.

I spent 11 years in the Glass and Glazing business. Old timers will tell you cracks like that will "freeze" and not "run-out" and make bigger cracks and then break. I say BS! That is a flaw in the glass waiting for the chance to finish ruining that carboy. Odds are, when that breaks, it is going to be right there where it is already cracked. Risky business. Odd that it is on the INSIDE...and odd location on the inside too!

Latest posts

Back