New from WV

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaginCajun

Junior
Reaction score
Hey there fellow wine-o's, I'm new and live in WV. I have made about 10 batches of fruit wine from fruit my wife and I mostly forage from family members land and the side of the road including black raspberry, tart cherry and heirloom long neck pumpkins. We've also made some pineapple and watermelon wines from purchased fruit with watermelon being my only failure so far.
I found the forum looking for cellar/winemaking room ideas. I plan on turning a corner of my basement into a permanent place to make and store wine.
I am a transplant from south Louisiana and love the plethora of free
fruit has to offer. The name of our "winery" is Chateau de Couyons (translates to house of idiots in Cajun French).

Welcome RaginCajun
Do you have sink capabilities?
Think extra sturdy shelves for carboy storage.

This is a great forum for helping to get it right the first time. great place to check out stuff before you do it or buy it.

Yes I have a mop sink in the area that I plan on incorporating into the cellar. I have a large sink basin and upper cabinets that I plan to add a 4'-6' additional counter space. I hope to have several shelves for carboys, I currently have three, and two 4' wide floor to ceiling goat cage wine racks.
The only thing I plan on skipping that I've seen in the forums is an AC system as my basement stays in the low to mid 60's all year.
Thanks for the input!

I need AC for two months. I'm in Washington State so most the time just close the heater vent and temp and humidity are perfect. I have a room for my addiction but no sink so am envious of your area. I have made a cart that I can roll to kitchen when needed.

I currently do everything but store wine in the kitchen so I'm looking forward to having a place that doesn't leave a mess in the house. Plus, during secondary fermentation my wife says I make the house smell like a Mexican brothel so she's in favor of my new workspace!
I'm lucky in that whoever built the house plumbed the basement.

Hey there fellow wine-o's, I'm new and live in WV. I have made about 10 batches of fruit wine from fruit my wife and I mostly forage from family members land and the side of the road including black raspberry, tart cherry and heirloom long neck pumpkins. We've also made some pineapple and watermelon wines from purchased fruit with watermelon being my only failure so far.
I found the forum looking for cellar/winemaking room ideas. I plan on turning a corner of my basement into a permanent place to make and store wine.
I am a transplant from south Louisiana and love the plethora of free
fruit has to offer. The name of our "winery" is Chateau de Couyons (translates to house of idiots in Cajun French).

LMAO ragincajun. I'm from SE LA, my wife Ragin Cajun stuff all over our home. Welcome.

Latest posts

Back