Rattlesnake Hills Cab

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone doing a bulk order for DC? I noticed he has that listed. I'd only want two buckets, but would get in on a bulk order if one is being made. Looks like 20 bucket min.

Starting pH of 3.51 should get you around 3.6-ish after MLF. Not sure how you're estimating TA, but unless you're certain, stick w/ pH.

Thanks for the reply. I have some EC-1118 in the fridge - now that is my insurance policy. Great thought.

I'm estimating TA by doing the math on what it is supposed to be from winegrapesdirect website. I like the idea of just managing the PH because I don't have a TA test. :(

Ok now on day three. So used EX-V on both batches. Must was still cool around 55 degrees in the evening but I rehydrated and pitched yeast anyway.

Also should get 3 or 4 bottles of heavy Rose out of the deal (a few skins snuck into the batch). Just racked. This is the cellar at 55 degrees. These temps on yeasts should be take with a grain of salt. This one is only supposed to work to 64. :ft

Rose 3-26-17.jpg

Quick update - Last night Cab/Merlot was at .998, Zin at 1.022, Syrah at 1.008. I only wanted to do one pressing so they were all moved to glass. Have referred back to @Johnd "spaniards" and @stickman "Pinot Noir words of wisdom" several times as a frame of reference.

- Did the co-inoculation on 3/27 with the first addition of Fermaid K
- As must temps rose into the high 70s low 80s on 3/27 and 3/28, I noticed the a whiff of H2S
- I stepfed the 2nd half of Fermaid K and stirred up the lees off the bottom often
- This stirring lowered the must temperature back to mid to low 70s room temp 68-70
- H2S gone by 3/30 - no redulees or copper added

When should I run an MLF Chromo? Wait till fermentation is fully complete?

Here are some photos.
- Cab/Merlot carboys and its color (flavor is fruity, can taste acid in balance with soft tannins - not as big as hoped, but delicious for sure. Maybe some oak time will bring it along).
- Seconds going in the Brute
- And the beautiful pressing blocks stained burgundy

cab-merlot.jpg

cab merlot color.jpg

seconds.jpg

pressing blocks.jpg

When should I run an MLF Chromo? Wait till fermentation is fully complete?

Sounds like you've pressed and your wine is in carboys, I typically will rack off of the gross lees somewhere between days 2 and 3 to leave that sludge behind. After that point, wait maybe 2 weeks to do a chromo, I've had some close to finished at that point, but not all. Run a test every couple of weeks on each carboy, as they finish, give each finished carboy two more weeks (insurance) and then hit them with the appropriate dose of SO2. You can rack again at SO2 time if needed. From then on it's gravy, rack and maintain SO2 every 3 or so months and barrel age if you're doing that.

Sounds like you've pressed and your wine is in carboys, I typically will rack off of the gross lees somewhere between days 2 and 3 to leave that sludge behind. After that point, wait maybe 2 weeks to do a chromo, I've had some close to finished at that point, but not all. Run a test every couple of weeks on each carboy, as they finish, give each finished carboy two more weeks (insurance) and then hit them with the appropriate dose of SO2. You can rack again at SO2 time if needed. From then on it's gravy, rack and maintain SO2 every 3 or so months and barrel age if you're doing that.

Cool thanks! Going into two 50L barrels.

When do I clean the basement :ft

Ok so ran the Chromo. The first is the Cabernet blend, 2nd is the Zin blend, third is my 2nds off the combined must (I did not add MLF culture a 2nd time), and the last one is a Merlot I did in the fall. I did not add MLF culture. So what was I drinking last night? You got it! - a very acidic homemade merlot.

Am I seeing that MLF is underway in the first three, and perhaps mostly done? Thanks!

1st MLF Chromo 4:20:17.jpg

It looks like your Zin and 2nd is done, the Cab has a little malic left. The citric spots are visible just above the tartaric.

If you let the ML go long enough, the citric will be consumed also, the bacteria prefer malic, but will use citric once the malic is gone.

Ok wrapping up this post for awhile unless issues arise. Cab blend tastes awesome. Got the spicey notes I was looking for in the Zin, but it is a little "thinner" tasting than the cab. Love the aromatics. Thanks to all, especially @JohnD, @stickman, and @Boatboy24!

Cellar after winemaking.jpg

full barrels.jpg

Latest posts

Back