Marquette Grape?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a picture of the grape plant now after a very harsh Winnipeg winter. Is it toast?

20170408_184322.jpg

MarquetteThayer.jpg

Give it a while to see if buds start swelling. Snow is a good thing and helps insulate the buds, but it doesn't look very healthy to me. If the buds swell then I would prune it back to a few of them and let one become the trunk.

Also try and upload pictures in an upright position. If they are the wrong way on your computer you can get a utility that lets you rotate the, like I did for you.

You might want to remove all the grass around the vine for a good 24" diameter. As it is now the vine is fighting for every ounce of moisture and nutrient it can get with that grass.

Hi Everyone, just looking for some advice on how to prune this vine! This is how it looks right now, now that winter is over. Thanks!

20180419_134126.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How tall is that top wire? Looks to be too low. Should be ore like 5' off the ground for Marquette. I would also get your trunk tied up to the support better. I am not seeing much to prune at the moment. Perhaps just those two extra shoots. That vine is really struggling. its been in the ground 3 years now!

Looks better. I would remove the grass around the base of the vine. The grass will suck up water and nutrients that the vine needs. Do you fertilize in the spring/summer? That would help as well.

We hit at least -13F here near Indy over the winter; I was worried. But my Cayuga survived so I expected the Marquette to do so.

I did not have time to get in the vineyard repeatedly and check progress and only got everything pruned last week. But the Marquette survived, albeit with I'd say moderate damage. I am glad a double trunked them as I had to cut out some entire trunks and had a lot of branches which died off entirely.

I'm glad it wasn't worse, I made my first Marquette wine from last fall's harvest, and it is the best red I have made to date.

Alright here it is so far. I did some trimming today, and this is what it looks like now....Any tips??

Attachments

• 20180619_094003.jpg
    20180619_094003.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 90
  • 20180619_094031.jpg
    20180619_094031.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
1) Remove all clusters for this year.
2) Remove all foliage from the ground up to at least the top of the foundation (light/dark grey line on house).
3) Get a heavier pole that can be inserted at least 6-9" into the ground and goes at least 6-12" above your top wire and then secure the vine to the pole in several places with growers tape tied loosely.
4) Remove all grass around the bottom the of the vine so that the vine doesn't have to compete with the grass for water and nutrients. Keep the grass out. Do not let it grow back in.
5) Fertilize every few weeks with a high potassium fertilizer. I like "Miracle Grow Bloom Buster". Its 15-30-15. I am sure there a better fertilizers out their specifically for grapes but this works really well for me, you can purchase it in small amounts and you can use it on hanging baskets, tomatoes, basil, peppers.......

Alright here it is so far. I did some trimming today, and this is what it looks like now....Any tips??

Hi Everyone,

The snow is slowly melting away here, and I'm starting to consider how I should cut back my grape vine this year. The last photo I posted is still pretty much how the vine looks (although the wood is slightly thicker now, given the few months of summer after I took that last photo). Any tips on what I should do for this year? Thanks!

It looks like you have the basic structure of the plant done. I would trim back the cordons to where you want them to end on your trellis. I'd probably trim any laterals back to one bud on the cordon. Trim off anything growing on the trunk. The buds on the cordons will grow and produce fruit for you.

In addition to what Greg said, you should probably keep 25 to 30 buds per vine, but no more. That is what the pruning equation for Marquette would dictate based on the small amount of vine that you will be pruning away.

Iowa State's pruning formula for Marquette is to retain 30 buds for the first pound of prunings and 10 buds for each additional lb of prunings after that. You don't need to bother weighing, you will be around 1 lb or less just based on the picture.

H

How does this look?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190417-122357_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190417-122357_Gallery.jpg
    956.8 KB · Views: 67
Hi Everyone,

Here are some pictures of my grape vine from today. Is there any pruning I should do, or just let it continue as is? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190611_191507.jpg
    20190611_191507.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • 20190611_191456.jpg
    20190611_191456.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 62
  • 20190611_191515.jpg
    20190611_191515.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back