Specific Gravity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuaneLovett

Junior
Reaction score
I should start by saying I am very very new to this hobby. This is my first try with grapes. I really would appreciate any advice to help me out. I have 97 lbs of chambourcin grapes. I destemmed and crushed them last night. In one primary bucket I've got 5 gallons of must and the other I have 4 1/2 gallons of must. I crushed 5 campden tablets dissolved in water and added to each last night. I am getting ready to add my yeast
(already started) tonight. So I check my hydrometer and it reads 1.072, so if I understand I need it to read 1.085. Any advice as to what I should do? Or how much sugar to add to each primary? I had to dig thru the skins to get to any liquid not sure if this is normal, like I said I'm very new. Thanks in advance for any help.
Duane Lovett
931-446-1773

Your SG is probably not a true number because of all the solids in the skins have not been dissolved into the liquid yet. In this case, a brix measurement would have been a better tool.

Add Pectic enzyme before yeast. Wait 12-24 hours then rehydrate your yeast and add.

To be specific 4 ounces of sugar by weight (inverted) will raise specific gravity .010 per gallon. This amount is just a hair high so if you need to add a lot of sugar add half, recheck and repeat.

If you browse through the Tutorial section on home page you will find numerous helpful articles.

Welcome and good luck.

Plus not all of your juice has been released. Add Pectic enzyme to break down the cell structure and release the sugar.

Latest posts

Back