Zante Currants

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I see a lot of mention of adding raisins to primary, and black currant notes are often mentioned when describing certain wines. Anyone ever use zante currants as you would raisins in primary?

Last edited:
they are actualy a black corinth grape , a type of vinifera . check out my kit tweak thread

sometimes they are called champagne grapes but its an american fruit industry maketing name , they are not actualy used in champagne

I use them in my low end kits to add some organic matter for the yeast. I think it adds a smoother feel once the wines age.

They still work

I agree, if you can't find wine raisins these being vinifera are a great alternative .

With any raisin addition wouldn't go over a pound per kit as they can add a sherry character if you add too many

Thanks all! Any advantages or disadvantages of currants vs. raisins, or certain types of "non-wine" raisins? Next kit in the primary will likely be a low end cabernet sauvignon that I'd like to play with a bit.

I see a lot of mention of adding raisins to primary, and black currant notes are often mentioned when describing certain wines. Anyone ever use zante currants as you would raisins in primary?
I would recommend wine raisins which have acidity, tannins and sweetness of commercial wine grapes.

Latest posts

Back