Missoula Vinyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe this was taken yesterday. Glacier Nat Park.........

71313464_2714044271940286_972806544901013504_n.jpg

Yeah - I saw that Mike! I think that was taken in the Ranger housing area at St. Mary on the east side of the divide - much worse over there.
We've mostly stopped at an inch - inch-plus! It's 38* but we are still in the middle of the storm. So... "we'll see!"

At those temps, do you need internal cold storage? Good luck! Sounds like you guys could have great ice wines.

Got all the Frontenac Blanc/Gris off the vines yesterday - pretty cold and gnarly exercise. Now getting ready to get back out there for more picking - at least the sun is shining now. Temp at 6:30 this AM was a balmy 24°

All the beautiful green foliage that was there on Sunday is now gone. Only good thing is that it's now easier to see all the hanging clusters for picking - so much for ripening!

i'll post that info after all picked and crushed. see my post this past Sunday for Brixs done from individual berries

I am about finished with fermentation - getting ready to add malolactic and then let them set for a few months. I think, Rick, I could have let them go through that first cold snap and give them about 10 more days - our weather was pretty good overnight her in MSO until a couple days ago.

The cold snap quickly ended this year's growing season for us. All the reds are in MLF and will do Chromatographic test come this Friday to see where things stand. What little white are undergoing cold stabilization

The cold snap quickly ended this year's growing season for us. All the reds are in MLF and will do Chromatographic test come this Friday to see where things stand. What little white are undergoing cold stabilization

That weekend completed the change in leaves from burned to brown - and mine have been inoculated with MLF too. Just watching and staying warm!
(For those who follow all this: Montana is a big state and what you may see in one place - like the pictures in Glacier from several weeks ago that IBGLOWIN posted above -- doesn't necessarily mean it's like that everywhere in the state. Yesterday we had scuddy and cold weather in the morning and even snow (flurries, but 36*) at the Griz-E. Washington game. But, by late afternoon it was sunny. BUT, the day before - Friday -- it was 70* and like a typical 'Indian Summer' fall day. MontanaRick and BitterrootGirl can have completely different experiences - the fun of living in Montana!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say! We played 18 holes on Friday with temps in low 70's. Woke up Saturday morning to 3" of new snow and temps never got above 38°

Back