Missoula Vinyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see that many weeds competing. I would take the blue X off NOW to give the vines as much time to harden off as possible. Don't worry about the vines getting nipped this winter as long as the deer leave you 2 or 3 buds per cane. Being that size, you will need to cut them off almost to the ground. Dont' worry, they gain it back in no time and aren't limited in the future by the thin canes. As long as the vine is alive at the end of the year, chances are really good it will grow well next season.

Wish I could come out there hunting. I would even go a few hundred yards from your house where they aren't so tame
smiley36.gif

Thanks for posting them- and yes, take the blue X off NOW!

Hi Dave!
Besides what Richard said, you may also want to get some 10-6-6- commercial fertilizer to put down after dormancy late in the fall, or alternatively some rotted manure for organic compost, to get it to leach down by next spring. If you didn't have a soil test done, that could be helpful too at this point before amendments are added, to check soil pH and nutrients. Then there's that coil of wire. Bet you're planning to string that up before your vines start climbing in the spring, right? For deer repellent, try some smelly soap. I cut Irish Spring into quarters and hang a piece next to each vine, and so far the deer here have left me entirely alone. It is worth a try, and cheap!
Bill

That is one good looking dear. How do you keep him away from your garden?

Well, you can see the buck has lot's of good "buds."

20070923_181236_IMG_1836_Small.JPG

The big guy isn't the same one as above, but he was sparring with the others just beyond the fence. And there was a fourth -- a 3 point -- just outside the picture to the right. My son took this early Saturday morning, being awakened by the "clacking" of horns.

We really do need an urban hunting season! (And, for those who think that's not a good solution, we also have -- among the dozen or more deer that frequent our neighbor's feeding station -- three does with hanging/broken legs -- the victims of car collisions. And, last year we had two fawns, this year one plus a doe, that were killed on the streets within a couple blocks of our house. We really do have too many deer!)

HEY!
smiley36.gif
I reviewed this after the post and discovered I just got made a "winemaster!" Better go celebrate! Cheers!
smiley2.gif

Edited by: OilnH2O

Sounds like a good reason for a glass of wine accompanied by a slab of venison.

Good grief man, you need deer fencing like you had Fort Knox there! I once saw four 8 and 10 point buck together while mowing, but they weren't sparring in the yard! You may have to put up an electrified perimiter fence, maybe a bunch of razor wire on top!
smiley4.gif

Yeah, soap is probably for does and fawns. You need 10 year old rubber boots filled with garlics and dog urine to set these guys back...

A little off topic here.....But today we saw a couple trucks from Michigan headed east to their homeland with trailers loaded with 4 wheelers, misc camping gear, freezers and some huge elk racks...the rack on one trailer was in velvet...a little shaggy but covered in velvet.....have never seen one in velvet that had been harvested this late in the season.....Is that rare????

Need more info NW. Rare thatit had velvet this lateor rare that you seen it ?
smiley4.gif

NW --

I'm not sure it is "rare" --certainly unusual -- and more likely that you would not have velvet at this late date. But, there may be later bloomers out there! Maybe these were bow hunters - the bow season is the earliest and has been going for a few weeks now.

The gun season started last week in Wyoming, and it's "backcountry" right now in Montana (has been since the 15th) which means the season is openmostly in designated wilderness areas. To be successful you'd need horses although I know some places you can drive to within a mile or so of the wilderness boundary -- but you couldn't use a four-wheeler, even after you have an animal down. You'd have to get it out somehow -- which is where the horses REALLY come in handy. Which is why I don't "drive TO" since I know however far you walk into the wilderness, that's how far you have to haul that elk out!

But as to velvet, I think it is rare, unusual,but not impossible. By the way, the problem here is urban deer -- I'm sure we'll have to address it sooner rather than later. Right now I've got old CD's hanging from the wires (that coil, Bill, is for the next row next spring!) that flash in the sun.No flash atnight tho... Irish spring works, they say... as does letting my dog out in the yard!

We were at the only stoplight in Clearwater County when those trucks went through, my honey drove 85MPH to catch up to them to look at the racks in the trailer...we drove along side of them for a while, then they passed us again and then we were at a stoplight in the next town beside them, so got a really good look at that rack...it was for sure in velvet...Around here if you get a deer with that the 'law'takes it away from you....so was wondering about that.

We don't have the luxury of being able to shotdeerout the window like you, maybe once in awhile a herd will run through the yard. We went out and looked at the deer plot today...other than being surrounded with soybeans and corn we plant some oats late...the deer just lick up that luscious grass...in fact 2 were there when we drove up...one had a nice rack. Our season doesn't start till the first sat in Nov...so have a lot of time to wait.

deerplotWinCE.jpg

I'm getting a LOT more deer activity lately since my apples are getting riper and some are dropping in the winds. It's like a deer magnet. The downside is the vines are planed nearby and some of them are just canes now with no leaves. They have broken off a number of the bamboo shoots at the ground so I have been having to put new ones in and tie to the first wire. Our seasons begin in mid-October for muzzleloading, unless they get to be too much of a nuisance. Then the gloves come off early. I really don't mind some damage, I just plant extra. But don't let them get carried away! We also have rye and clover planted a few hundred yards away, so that keeps them somewhat away. Edited by: appleman

Sunday morning, 33*F, watched the partly sunny sky turn dark in the west, then a 20-minute snow squall left our first snow of the season -- actually LATE for us, I think. While we've had snow above 5000' several times, this is the first for the valley. Can't wait for next spring to see these vines wake up and take off!
smiley36.gif

20071111_111438_IMG_2809_Small.JPG

Dread winter....hope it pases quickly and we can all get out and enjoy our vines...in the meantime...enjoy your wines.

What a nice view you have there. It looks like the vines have lost their summer foliage and are standing naked to the winter. Good luck with the vines and here's hoping they grow really well for you next year. I finished pre-pruning the St. Pepin today to get more cuttings in time to bury them for winter(the ground was frozen down 3 inches tody). I ended up with about 500 of them. I will plant out next spring on some black plastic with drip irrigation and see how well they root. I want to get about an acre of the St. Pepin planted in the next year or so. Edited by: appleman

Latest posts

Back