RJ Spagnols Specific Gravity already 0.994

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmorandin

Junior
Reaction score
I am in day 14 of a 28 day kit (RJ Spagnols Tempranillo Cabernet) and the specific gravity is already down to 0.994. Should I do the last step now or should I wait closer to the 28 days. The specific gravity was 1.11 when I started the kit and 1.01 when I started the secondary fermentation.

Thanks in advance

Kit directions are basic time guidelines. If your wine has fully fermented then yes proceed to degassins, stabilizing and clearing.

The temperature, amount of nutrients, sugar, acid and yeast all affect a yeasts ability to work. Use the hydrometer and rack when dry.

Re-read the instructions and I think you will find that the timeline for fermentation to be complete is day 14, so you are right on schedule and ready to stabilize, degas and clear etc.. then leave it till day 28 (preferably longer)

There are two sets of RJ Spagnols instructions depending on which brand is being made. Some have a 14 day primary (as Repsolal has suggested), and others a 7 day ferment (as stated by gmorandin). This is why it is very important to tell us what kit EXACTLY that you are making.

Fortunately RJS only makes one Tempranillo Cabernet (as opposed to the 9 Merlots), and it is in the Cellar Classic Winery Series. This is one of the 7 day primary brands.

So 7 days in primary, then transfer to secondary, and then wait till day 28 to do the additives.

BTW, gmorandin, this is NOT a 28 day kit (ie 28 days to bottling). RJS considers it a 42 day kit.

Personally I would wait to the 28 day point (or longer) before continuing. This allows more of the sediment to settle, and these kits can be bad for sediment due to the grape skins.

Steve

Latest posts

Back