Carboy and Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CabSauv

Exp Drinker/Junior Vintner
Reaction score
I headed down to the local brew supplies store that I hadn't checked out yet just to pick up some campden tablets and pH test strips and I ended up leaving with a 6 gallon carboy and 24 bottles (to go with the 6 I already salvaged) in addition to the tablets and test strips. So now I'm ready to start another batch and fully prepared for aging and bottling my current (first) batch. Out the door for $50, not bad. :fsh

carboy.jpg

bottles.jpg

Wow that seem low, locally most of our bottles are $1.50 to $2.00 each. Which is why I started saving 4 specific bottle types that both family and friends like to drink as their house wines. I am up to 15 cases so far. Good for you on the price

You must be a good bargainer, that's a real good price. Are you going to bottle already or is the carboy for your next batch.

My first batch still has a week left in the fining/degassing stage and then I'll rack it to the new carboy and start bulk aging for 6-9 months. Then I'll start a new batch in my original carboy. I'll use my bucket as a quick rack vessel (rack to bucket and back to carboy right away) for both batches as needed throughout their bulk aging process.

My first batch still has a week left in the fining/degassing stage and then I'll rack it to the new carboy and start bulk aging for 6-9 months. Then I'll start a new batch in my original carboy. I'll use my bucket as a quick rack vessel (rack to bucket and back to carboy right away) for both batches as needed throughout their bulk aging process.

I thought you were bulk aging your bottling, comment confused me. Put an alert on Craigslist for carboys. I've already got 2 for $25.00 each and one new in the box for $20.00.

Oh, I see how my wording would have confused you. No, not aging directly in the bottle, I just meant that I have all the necessary equipment to finish the last 2 steps of my first batch (aging and bottling). If I could get my hands on an oak barrel or two I'd be set but I need to be careful, I'm no longer just dipping my toes in the water on this hobby. :)

Last edited:
Oh, I see how that would have confused you. No, not aging directly in the bottle, I just meant that I have all the necessary equipment to finish the last 2 steps of my first batch (aging and bottling). If I could get my hands on an oak barrel or two I'd be set but I need to be careful, I'm no longer just dipping my toes in the water on this hobby. :)

LOL, pretty addicting

YES, and I already have a few other expensive hobbies so I just need to pace myself. :ib

My other expensive hobbies are golf and boating. But with the initial investments I think my first couple batches of wine may end up over $50.00 a bottle. Hopefully it will be much less expensive after that though.

I headed down to the local brew supplies store that I hadn't checked out yet just to pick up some campden tablets and pH test strips and I ended up leaving with a 6 gallon carboy and 24 bottles (to go with the 6 I already salvaged) in addition to the tablets and test strips. So now I'm ready to start another batch and fully prepared for aging and bottling my current (first) batch. Out the door for $50, not bad. :fsh

Got's to remember not to do any horse trading with you!!@@! $50 is C H E A P

Me too, Fly Fishing isn't cheep either. I told my wife that wine making will be my midlife crisis, no girlfriend or Lamborghini :::)::

You got me thinking... I'm now in my seventies and don't recall ever having a mid-life crisis... Is it too late to have one now?
smilie.gif

Latest posts

Back