Rinse bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez2cy

Reaction score
After rinsing a bottle with sterlizing solution like meta sulphite, does a person have to rinse them with water? Askin as we moved and are on a well, and the water is not very good.

thanks in advance.

I sanitize mine with k-meta solution and then allow it to dry (mostly anyhow) on a bottle drying tree. I do not rinse it with anything else as that could impart bacteria you just just finished sanitizing out of it.

If you really want to, you could use distilled water to rinse. I wouldn't use tap though for the most part it probably won't be a problem. The cleaner / more sanitized you are. The better chance you have of having a great end result.

I use a spray bottle to give each bottle a mist of K-Meta. Then on the bottle tree for 10-20 min., then filler-up.

You might try sanitizing your well.

Mine has a submersible pump.

Take off the cap on top, Run water into it with a hose, pour in a gallon of bleach and continue with the running water.

Open you taps one at a time until you can smell the bleach, includes hot water.

Let set for and hour or so.

I shut down the flame on the water heater and hook a hose to it to run the water out side until clear of the bleach odor. Run the other taps into a bucket.

I do this about every three years with no problems. No problems with my well or the water in making wine.

Take off the cap on top, Run water into it with a hose, pour in a gallon of bleach and continue with the running water.

I shut down the flame on the water heater and hook a hose to it to run the water out side until clear of the bleach odor. Run the other taps into a bucket.

I do this about every three years with no problems. No problems with my well or the water in making wine.

A GALLON!!!!! Yikes. a cup or so once every couple of months is way more than enough :sh

After rinsing a bottle with sterlizing solution like meta sulphite, does a person have to rinse them with water? Askin as we moved and are on a well, and the water is not very good.

thanks in advance.

I do lotsa bottles and a HOT water rinse out to clean followed by a sanitizer rinse. Time to fill with wine:db

We actually did this with 4 gallons of Bleach. Well people told us that Bleach only contains 3 % Chlorine and sold us some stuff that was over 90%. Shocked well ran it, but it's still not the best water. Has lots of iron in it and the iron remover we put in, helps but it's not perfect.

This is why I don't want to rinse the bottles after sterilizing them. Was not sure if it was a good idea or not.

Thanks for the replies

My well has lime and some magnesium but it doesn't seem to hurt the wine.

Don't have a softener.

Back