Potassium metabisulfite solution mix ratio?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zxert

Junior
Reaction score
I'm extremely confused about how much pot-met to mix with water to make one gallon of sanitizing solution!
confused.gif

I've seen anywhere from 1/4 teaspoon to five tablespoons!

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks!!

2 oz. of k-meta per gallon will make a sanitizing soluiton. I believe that's equivalent to 3 tablespoons.

hello - 1/4 teaspoon per five gallons about every three months is how much you would use for preservation purposes of your wine while it is in the carboys - - - for sanitizing purposes, a stronger solution is needed as noted in the preceding post - good luck!

The container that the potassium meta-bisulfite comes in should have the recommended strength to make it for sanitizing purposes listed on it.

1/4 tsp is for adding to 5-6 gallons of wine to kill off wild yeast and micro organisms before adding yeast and then after the wine is fermented to prevent oxidation, to make a sanitizer you should be adding 3 table spoons like Travisty said which is the equivalent of 2 oz.s. Wayne, I hope your not making a sanitizing solution of only 1/4 tsp!!!!!!!!!!
Edited by: wade

Hello Wade - I see now that my sloppy writing could be disastoursly misleading! I should have used more punctuation and written -

1/4 teaspoon per five gallons about every three months is how much you would use for preservation purposes of your wine while it is in the carboys. For sanitizing purposes, a stronger solution is needed as noted in the preceding post - good luck!

zxert, that was a good question I also could never figure out how much to add the folks that wrote thedirection think every one has scales.

thanks for clearing it up fellas

I wish I would have found this site first.

When I started my first gallon batch of blueberry wine with Oregon Fruit puree last week, I looked on another site and only used 1/4 tsp. for a gallon of sanitizer.

I made it stronger since then, but hopefully I won't run in to a contamination problem.
smiley11.gif

I dought youll have any problem, its amazing what you can get away with sometimes and then other times when you know you did everything to the "T" everything goes wrong!

By the way Wade, that's a heck of a rack system you have!

I was looking around the site at some pics and saw what you did with your basement.

Nice work!

Latest posts

Back