Post your crush/press day photos

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks,

I thought it would be a great idea to set up a sticky thread for all of your crush day and press day photos. Why not post them here, together so that we all share in the good times?

johnT.

Thanks John!
Here's my second crushing ever. First (which was 2 days earlier), I used a regular kitchen masher. My hand and arm are still mad at me. So on my second time I got a little more inventive. I dont trust myself to clean my feet well enough, so I triple bagged one leg and squished!!!! ImageUploadedByWine Making1471965725.933939.jpg

We're scheduled for the first week in october, probably the afternoon of the 8th. All supplies have arrived, bottling last years wine this weekend to free up carboys and doing a general clean-up in preparation.
Looking forward to living vicariously through everyone's posts until my grapes arrive.

Mike

Scheduled delivery for 150 (maybe 200) kilo of cab for sunday evening. Gonna have some friends over. Hand destemming it all,, so wish us luck!!!

Are you making it an event? Ya know, food and a little something to sip on?

I think we'll have some craft beer and some imported american meats there. Nothing official though

Last edited:
image.jpg

Last Sunday, 204 lbs Sauvignon Blanc. 23 bricks, 3.43 pH, 0.56 TA. Crushed, 18 hours on skins, 8 hours clarification, racked into 50l barrel ~ 60% full, and ~ 3 gal into a carboy. Yeast V1116. Nicely fermenting at ~60-65 F.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1473629733.688739.jpg
The picture doesn't really do them justice, but I picked up my cab grapes tonight. Crush is tomorrow. I stuffed 16 of these boxes into the back of a tiny Fiat.
Guy was nice. He wasn't 100% sure about the weight of the boxes so he threw in an extra 3/4 of a box. In total I got about 157 kilo which is about 350 pounds...

The guys who were helping me had to take a break so I snapped a couple of pics
Pic one is all the grapes minus 3 boxes that were destemmed and crushed already. (Each purple crate has 2 boxes)
2 is a closeup
And 3 is the "setup".
Everyone destems into the big buckets as one guy walks around pouring them into the small red one and hand crushes. Then he pours it into the huge blue food grade for the primary.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1473691223.529012.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1473691241.545156.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1473691274.031502.jpg

Had to pick a little early as Leaf Hoppers were taking out my Viognier leafs fast and some of the clusters were looking weird. Tried some lady bugs to help, to little to late. Brix were 19 and waiting on my ph meter, it is in route. This is my first harvest ever on these 6 vines. Picked about 85 lbs destemed and crushed with my squeaky clean sanitized feet. My son was mad as he wanted to do it but was asleep. The Reds will be waiting for him. Ended up with 8-9 gallons of must added Camden tabs. Waited 16 hours to press and finally got some help from my son. He loved turning the crank and checking juice levels in the bucket. We got about 6.5 gallon of juice added some sugar to 23 brixs put in some yeast nutrient and pitched D-47. Now am waiting for the yeast its to get happy. Temp set at 66 degrees in my shop. Since I have no idea what I am doing, not sure this is gonna go well. The juice smells sweet and of green apples. Little man likes the juice even before we added the sugar. Since o have no reference not sure on the outcome

image.jpg

Last edited:
Crush in progress:
Pic 1 is the guys helping us. (I'm doing this batch together with 2 other guys)
Pic 2 is our fermenting barrel with the must in it
Pic 3 is right after adding sulfites and covered. You can also see my cup of wine from a bottle (pretty good bottle actually) that one of the guys opened for us. Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmel Private Collection (don't know the year)

The thing weighs about a ton. Then we had to transport it to a different apartment. That was fun...

ImageUploadedByWine Making1473718017.227253.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1473718035.461300.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1473718073.923963.jpg

Latest posts

Back