Holiday beer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
This is going to be a my spiced holiday brew. This recipe has been floating around for a while in All Grain version. My LHBS converted it to a partial extract.
This will be brewed this weekend (with pics to follow).
I plan 3 weeks primary, and then bottle conditioning until December.
I am considering adding a vanilla bean, but on the fence about this one since they are pricey and I don't know how it will affect flavor.
As since I will have more grain, my puppy will be getting more treats, black ones!
Now I just have to remember not to over carb this!

1# Crystal 60L,
2 oz Black Malt
3.3# Light LME,
3# Light DME,
1# Honey

2 oz Cascade hop pellets (11 AAU) bittering hop 60 min..
1 oz Cinnamon Stick, 10 min
1 oz Sweet Orange Peel, 10 min
1 oz of Ginger Root last 10 min
½ oz Saaz pellets aroma hop last 5 min

Nottingham dry yeast.

Last edited:
Got all the ingredients
Now trying to figure out a conversation for fresh ginger.
Supposed to use 1 oz.
Rate I saw was 1 oz = 1/4 dry.

Also trying to decide on using either wildflower honey or clover?

The SG was a tad lower than I wanted so I bumped it up with a couple oz of prime sugar.
Ended up at 1.068
ImageUploadedByWine Making1443391862.338866.jpg

Racked
Ended up at 7.09% ABV
ImageUploadedByWine Making1444867148.603976.jpg

Last edited:
Going back to your question on the vanilla bean, do you think vanilla would improve the taste? I'm guessing you tried the hydrometer sample and might have an idea one way or the other. I've used vanilla beans in a stout before and it definitely adds a nice flavor to the brew.

Going back to your question on the vanilla bean, do you think vanilla would improve the taste? I'm guessing you tried the hydrometer sample and might have an idea one way or the other. I've used vanilla beans in a stout before and it definitely adds a nice flavor to the brew.

I imagine vanilla wouldn't hurt, but as of yet I am not sure how it works with the flavor.
I tasted it and it had a orange ginger flavor, the cinnamon has yet to come through.
Hoping that it comes out after some bottle aging.

If all goes well I will try this again next year and add the vanilla!

Cold crashed,
Bottled,
Used 3.5 oz for 4.2 gallons.

3 days ago it had an overwhelming taste of orange peels. So I threw in a stick o cinnamon, than cold crashed .Today it is all ginger.
Having never brewed with spices I have been assured the flavors will come out with time.
If they don't I will have a 7% gingery beer!ImageUploadedByWine Making1445130050.922023.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1445130065.536879.jpg

3 weeks in the bottle and I had to try one.
It has aroma of orange peels
Taste of ginger
No cinnamon
But it is young
ImageUploadedByWine Making1446936699.045223.jpg
But at 7% it packs a punch

Last edited:
5 weeks in the bottle
Still no cinnamon flavor
Subtle finger flavor
ImageUploadedByWine Making1448229070.082866.jpg

Latest posts