not enough yeast??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterroz

Junior
Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of mead that's about 4 weeks old. I still have it in the primary (carbouy). Still alot of activity as far as bubbles but i just read that i should've used one packet of yeast per gallon. I only used one packet for 5 gallons and there is not much ''lees"? At the bottom... am i good to go?

one pack will ferment 5 gallons but you should have it in a bucket and not in the carboy. It needs air at this point in the fermentation. And are you taking a hydrometer reading? You should use the hydrometer to determine when fermentation is done.

I agree with Julie, I packet of yeast should be enough. I start my melomel in fermenting buckets even though mead is traditionally started in carboys.

I agree with Julie, I packet of yeast should be enough. I start my melomel in fermenting buckets even though mead is traditionally started in carboys.

Ok you have my interest. Why is mead traditionally started in carboys?

Why is mead traditionally started in carboys?

From my understanding, its basically the same theory as cool-fermenting a white wine... Long fermentation time, cool temps, lack of CO2 to protect the wine... And the added lack of solids, because its just honey in traditional meads

Exactly, we all know that you can slow or cool ferment in a fermenting bucket as well, I think it has to do with the long tradition of making mead a certain way, and it has stuck with the traditionalist, you will find that more melomel makers follow wine making techniques.

Back