Question About Honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, My goal is to make a smaller batch of something like tropical fruit, I'm wondering if that blend of fruit would compliment the honey as well as a Strawberry, Raspberry, Blueberry, Blackberry blend. I really don't want to make traditional country or fruit wines with granulated white sugar anymore, the difference it very much noticeable, more body, mouth feel, taste, and so on.
As far as getting it into a more workable form, I will put a seedling heat mat around the bucket and slowly heat it at 74° over the course of a day or so, but I'll weigh the bucket to see exactly how much I have left, minus the weight of the bucket, which should weigh approx 2 lbs with the lid.

-----snip-----
As far as getting it into a more workable form, I will put a seedling heat mat around the bucket and slowly heat it at 74° over the course of a day or so, but I'll weigh the bucket to see exactly how much I have left, minus the weight of the bucket, which should weigh approx 2 lbs with the lid.
See, if some of my honey crystalises, honey being hygroscopic, just sort of "melts" if steeped in water.

I know that between 3 and 3.5lb per gallon is my usual mix, so I just weigh it out on the scales, then chuck it in my brewing bucket and leave it for a day or two (air locked so none of the airbourne nasties can get it). Then I just open it up, blitz it with the electric whisk or stick blender, then take a sample and test.

If it's lower than I'm aiming for, I just scoop a bit more honey into the liquidiser, add a bit of the other must and blitz with that, then stir it into the bucket. Then sample and test again.

I don't get hung up with numbers so much any more, as long as it measures to be somewhere near what I'm aiming for, that's fine........

If you want to warm it with a brew belt or similar, it should be Ok I'd have thought. I just like to not heat my honey if I don't have to.....

Latest posts

Back