The benefit of Pectin Enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
This is a photo of a 3 1/2 gallon batch I started with Frozen Pine/Orange/Mango concentrate 6 days ago.( I splashed it into a fermenting bucket right after I pitched the yeast) I added 2 tsp of Enzyme before the yeast went in. Yesterday I transfered it to the secondary. I can't send a picture of it cause the batterries are dead, but I was ABSOLUTELY amazed that there was only about 1 inch or so of setiment on the bottom of the bucket at transfer. Thanks for teaching me about this Pectic Enzyme.:)
Would this enzyme be necessary in a clearer must? Like apple juice or grape juice, something with little or no pulp?
Troy
Not long ago LUC posted a link to his blog demenstratiing how this enzyme could break down regular applesauce. Ihope he might post it again, I still don't know how to link you to that thread.

Le pulp.jpg

Last edited:
The pectic enzyme is always needed not only for eating at cell structures in fruits as you have seen but also for breaking up pectin which if not done will result in a very hazy wine. Apples are very high in this pectin and thats what usually makes them the hardest wine to clear.

Thanks for posting that again LUC. I hope someoneelse benefits as well.
Troy

Latest posts

Back