Kumis or milk wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it in two different containers. One is very clear and one is slightly cloudy. The clear bottle has an inch or so of curd like lees at the bottom. The cloudy one has a thin layer of lees. I am going to wait another week and then rack them both together into a single carboy and taste. I tasted the curds and they were sweeter than I imagined and really quite tasty when still moist. I allowed them to drain and decided that I did not like them dry. I am a luddite when it comes to being able to psot photographs but will try.

Sorry , Not able to post photos - not sure why - but anyway - I tasted some of this kumis today and it tastes ... interesting. I did not take an hydrometer reading but it tastes sweet although it should have more or less fermented dry. My kumis has (presumably) a far higher ABV than traditionally made milk wine - it's also made from cow milk and not mare. It's certainly drinkable although there is not much of a nose to it but I don't see me choosing this wine as I settle in for the evening or after a day working in the garden. The carboy with the not yet perfectly clear kumis is still not yet perfectly clear and I think I am going to add some bentonite to see if that might help it

This sounds fascinating! How is it coming along now that fermentation seems to have subsided?
In cheesemaking, you separate the curds and whey; would that maybe be helpful here? Like to separate first, then ferment the whey alone?
I my just try this, it really is captivating!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Had not thought about the kumis for a while and coincidentally I looked at it yesterday when I moved a gallon of t'ej (Ethiopian honey wine) I started last week into the basement area where I store my wines. I need to taste it again to see how it is doing.
The fermentation process itself separates the milk into curds and whey and the fresh curds (when still very moist) taste sweet and are fairly full of alcohol: like a sweet but potent cheese. The dried curds lost their sweetness.
You remove the curds from the whey and allow the whey to continue fermenting. One small jar is very clear while the other seems to be more cloudy than I was expecting.

I tasted the kumis last night and while it is not something that will become part of my regular wine making it has a very interesting sweet and sour taste. Sour, not in a bad way and not overpoweringly sour but there is a sourness to the taste and the mouthfeel - perhaps because of the added carrageenan - is good. I was trying to think what the flavor reminded me of and I think it does remind me of sake - For the record, I started off with a gallon of milk and ended up with enough kumis to fill three bottles.

Tried another glass of the kumis about 6 months after I started this batch and 2.5 months after my last tasting ... and the kumis is actually quite drinkable. Not wonderful but certainly something that I would be happy to drink a second glass.
I have a lactomel quietly aging in the basement and will steal a sip later this evening...

Latest posts

Back