Mead and Math question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jump in your car, run up to 84th & L behind just good meats fermenters supply has gal. jugs for sale. Think last time I saw them they were less than $5. Get a bung and airlock too and you are ready to go. Arne.

Arne,
I need to get up there, I have been buying all my supplies at Cornhusker Beverage(right around the corner from Fermenters). I have 8-1gal. carboys right now, don't need anymore. I think it is time to start buying bigger ones. All my 1gal. carboys are full, with the exception of two, that will be this weekend when I rack/backsweeten more DB.

concur, and the OP should get a damn hydrometer and a 5 gallon (or so) mixing bucket.

=QUOTE]

I have a hydrometer, but not sure what a damn hydrometer is.

Yes, it was my mistake, and won't happen again. I mixed up weight and liquid ounces.
Apologies for the wrong conclusion. The absence of any gravity reading led me (incorrectly) to presume a lack of a hydrometer.

Which is something you see often with newer mead makers i.e. they don't realise the importance of them and just follow a recipe of X oz's of honey to Y litres/gallons/whatever of water, pitch the yeast and then wonder why they have problems.

Hence the wrong presumption and impatient sounding response.

For info, small batches, like 1 gallon size are fine for experimenting, but you'd only get an average of 4 to 4 and a half bottles from 1 US gallon, after some racking losses.

Which explains the importance of very detailed notes, so that if one of your batches is particularly good, you can easily repeat it, scaling up if you wanted too.

I'd say something like a 6 gallon bucket and when you're ready to a 5 gallon carboy. That way, you have the space to make the batch, and do fruit additions etc sometime in the making process, then still have enough to rack into the carboy for ageing/clearing etc....

Obviously your choice of kit will depend on how much space you have and the batch sizes you find most convenient......

I put together a batch of JAOM last night. However, I had a container that read 5lb. (80oz.) of honey. So I measured out, in a Pyrex measuring cup 3 - 16oz. cup fulls, equaling my 3lb. (I was using 3 instead of 3 1/2 to dry it up some). The thing is, that took all of the "5lb. (80oz.)" of honey.
I then took a 48oz. container of water and filled up the empty honey container and it nearly filled it all the way up.
So am I doing the math wrong or could I assume the container is mismarked?
To go back to your original post, and apart from the mix-up on the "dry vs. liquid" - "imperial vs. metric measurements", I would try to 'graduate' beyond the JAOM. I have made it too, and was reasonably satsified, but is was too sweet. So "dry"-ing it out is a good idea, and you should use a standard mead or wine yeast, IMO, rather than bread yeast.

Also, you can get 5 gal. food-grade buckets at Lowe's and Home Depot, real cheap (like $5 or less). Carboys aren't too bad either, especially if you go with Batter Bottle (plastic), about $22-27 for 5-6 gal.

Will be looking for larger carboys as I have just really been experimenting with different recipes, flavors, etc. to try and get the whole "system" down to make sure this is something I want to do, hence the amount of 1gal. carboys.
As far as the JAOM goes, I just used it as a first time mead recipe to see if I would even like it and how the process with honey works.
Obviously I learned something right away with using honey and measuring. :)

Just for info, while the JAO recipe is easy to make and finishes sweet if you void the warranty and use a wine yeast you end up with a dry batch with nothing to balance the bitterness from the orange pith.

Its better to use a more conventional method and recipe style to achieve a dry(er) mead.

Not sure who you are referring to, but I did stick to the original recipe to the tee (after I got the honey ordeal under control). The only change I made was to use 3lb of honey instead of 3 1/2 hoping for a little dryer than the normal.

Not sure who you are referring to, but I did stick to the original recipe to the tee (after I got the honey ordeal under control). The only change I made was to use 3lb of honey instead of 3 1/2 hoping for a little dryer than the normal.
I read Bartmans post as suggesting to use wine yeast in a JAO, and figured it best to point out that JAO doesn't make for a good dry mead as the dryness brings the pith bitterness into focus and that's all you taste.

Whereas reducing the honey is a much better idea - actually I'd have thought that reducing by the half pound would give a similar result to my normal ones i.e. mine are made with the same ingr3dients as the recipe but when I first made a JAO I automatically made it to 1 imp gallon a.k.a. 4.55 litres and not 1 US gallon or 3.78 litres.

I've tried a correct one since and now make it as I did the first time so its sweet but not too sweet IMO

Back