DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look into lafitte. Alot of people on this board purchase corks from them. Very high quality corks for the same price as competitors. I pay 140 for 1000 count then 50 to ship them. If you like for a one time fee of $100 you can have custom die made so your local or wine name or what ever you want can be printed on every cork. Once the die is made it doesn't cost you any more to run corks with your logo on them. I do it and the results are fantastic. Check them out. We all buy the agglo 1+1 corks. You won't be dissapointed. I was buying cheapo corks from amazon for 16 cents each. These cost 19 cents each and are ten times higher quality and they have my logo and winery name on them!

http://www.lafitte-usa.com/

This is most excellent thank you! I have been looking for branded corks and aluminum capsules.

Cheers,
Johann

SG question:
My batch currently sits well below the .999 mark....how do I tell it's stabilized if I have no measuring "stick" left to read??

SG question:
My batch currently sits well below the .999 mark....how do I tell it's stabilized if I have no measuring "stick" left to read??

Once mine hits .994 and stays there for a couple of days I stabilize it. That's usually about 7 days out from pitching the yeast.

I'll apologize up front. I haven't read all
The posts...
Do you squeeze the bag every time you stir?
I'm down to 1.024 and love the smell.
Thanks for a great recipe. I hope my wife won't like it. I won't have any trouble drinking it myself.
One more question. How important is taking the temp?

I'll apologize up front. I haven't read all
The posts...
Do you squeeze the bag every time you stir?
I'm down to 1.024 and love the smell.
Thanks for a great recipe. I hope my wife won't like it. I won't have any trouble drinking it myself.
One more question. How important is taking the temp?

I squeezed every time. I dont think its a big deal.
About the temp, it depends what the temp is around the must. Fermenting can add a few degrees, but if the overall temp is cool around and your in a safe fermenting zone the first time you take the temp, (say in the low 70s) then you can get away without checking the temp every time.
However, do keep in mind that the hydrometer reading depends on the temp so your readings might be off...

To add to the temperature response, every hydrometer has a calibration temperature. By taking the temperature at the time of reading the SG, you can correct the SG reading based on your specific hydrometer.

As I stand here and degas this batch I get the distinct impression that I'll be here all night... I am also ponderin my next purchase ..a drill attachment

Last edited:
As I stand here and degas this batch I get the distinct impression that I'll be here all night... I am also ponderin my next purchase ..a drill attachment ��

LOL, I remember my first DB. It seemed to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to degas. And that was with a whip and a drill! Remember that degassing is easier with warmer must temps. Mid 70s or better is best.

Once mine hits .994 and stays there for a couple of days I stabilize it. That's usually about 7 days out from pitching the yeast.

I think that Nooberry meant that the hydrometer is sinking past any reading marks. My hydrometer goes down to .982 which is slightly below any I have fermented. I've had 3 batches go below .990 this summer!

I squeezed every time. I dont think its a big deal.
About the temp, it depends what the temp is around the must. Fermenting can add a few degrees, but if the overall temp is cool around and your in a safe fermenting zone the first time you take the temp, (say in the low 70s) then you can get away without checking the temp every time.
However, do keep in mind that the hydrometer reading depends on the temp so your readings might be off...

Thanks. Air temp in the basement is about 75 or so. I'll squeeze next time.

I think that Nooberry meant that the hydrometer is sinking past any reading marks. My hydrometer goes down to .982 which is slightly below any I have fermented. I've had 3 batches go below .990 this summer!

That is what has happened. I was a little off on my measurements (it started with me being Canadian lol gallons on recipe, litres on primary) anyways I ended up with too much water-don't ask- so I had to add another 4 cups of sugar to get the sg right.

I have to say I am learning lots every day with this batch. As long as it's boozy and tasty I'll call it a success!

That is what has happened. I was a little off on my measurements (it started with me being Canadian lol gallons on recipe, litres on primary) anyways I ended up with too much water-don't ask- so I had to add another 4 cups of sugar to get the sg right.

I have to say I am learning lots every day with this batch. As long as it's boozy and tasty I'll call it a success!

Don't be in a rush to be "too boozy". I've learned the hard way that most of these fruit wines are better in the 10%-12% range. If you're shooting for an 18% dessert port that's one thing. Fruit wines develop an after bite if you run the alcohol up too high. I had one that came in at 14 1/2% and tried everything to get it to taste right. Adjusted the pH, added more sugar, added concentrate. Nothing helped, until...I found a similar juice, did the math and brought the ABV down to 12%. That did the trick. More is not always better. Happy brewing Noobberry, sounds like you're getting it figured out.

Thanks drain surgeon!

To jump back to degassing quick, I added the potassium (s) last night and stirred until my arms hurt. I think there is some CO2 left though and I haven't added the clearing agent yet. If I stir for awhile daily for few days and then add spakloid, is that okay? I know the name of the game for this recipe is quick but I literally cannot stir all night.....

Thanks drain surgeon!

To jump back to degassing quick, I added the potassium (s) last night and stirred until my arms hurt. I think there is some CO2 left though and I haven't added the clearing agent yet. If I stir for awhile daily for few days and then add spakloid, is that okay? I know the name of the game for this recipe is quick but I literally cannot stir all night.....

Get yourself a whip from the wine shop. It's a Stainless shaft with a couple of hinged plastic blades. Attach to a drill and whip away. 5-10 min is usually sufficient. You can also make one from a plastic coat hanger. Cut a section off that has an L shape, attach to drill and whip away!

Remember a warmer must is easier to de-gass. (75+)

Or you could just keep de-gassing with a spoon and get a work out at the same time. :D (saves a trip to the gym)

Get yourself a whip from the wine shop. It's a Stainless shaft with a couple of hinged plastic blades. Attach to a drill and whip away. 5-10 min is usually sufficient. You can also make one from a plastic coat hanger. Cut a section off that has an L shape, attach to drill and whip away!

Remember a warmer must is easier to de-gass. (75+)

Or you could just keep de-gassing with a spoon and get a work out at the same time. :D (saves a trip to the gym)

Or give it a shot of k-meta, stick it on the shelf for a couple of months and it will degas on its own. :h Keep it under airlock. Arne.

that has got to be the very reason i look up Arne's posts and ask Arne questions,
after all aint the very reason a person drinks wine is to sit back an relax, which in blunt English is to kick back an enjoy a lazy after noon,
Dawg:sm

LOL, want to know the easy way to do it?? Ask the lazy guy. And proud of it. Arne.

Latest posts

Back