Fox Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paubin

Reaction score
Myself and the family had an adventure today and to my happy surprise I found the hiking path loaded with wild fox grapes. My golden retriever "calista" even enjoyed a few...lol. I am wondering if anyone has tried to cultivate them. I also noticed that while some where loaded with grapes and some had none. Could it be that they are male and female. I'll post some pic's in a bit.

Pete

Here are a few pic's hopefully
20110812_233913_IMG_5438.jpg
20110812_234253_IMG_5440.jpg
20110812_234337_IMG_5441.jpg
20110812_234410_IMG_5442.jpg

I forgot to mention earlier that on the walk back the sun had set and we were buzzed by numerous bats. Trying to keep my wife and 5 yr old daughter calm was a full time job...lol

Pete

If enough of them are left once they fully ripen I may try a 1 gallon pyment or something, I'm sure the birds are on them quick, not to mention we have black bears that would probably enjoy them too. Mostly I was wondering I anyone has tried to take cutting and propagate them and if so, are they male and female. Most of the vines have no fruit but a few are loaded (for fox grapes that is). I'm just thinking that they would be a cool novelty wine. I know they are they ancestors of concord from they little research I did last night. I just found it strange that only about 10 percent of the vines seemed to have grapes. On another note, I always thought that my dogs would be good to chase deer and other critters away from my grapes once I get them, but from Cali's reaction to them...I don't think I'll be letting them anywhere near them...lol.

Pete

Dont let Calista have grapes or raisins. It causes kidney failure in dogs.Check snopes if you please. I made some wine from them down south and it came out just fine.

From everything I've read and the vets I know and associate with, grapes, like chocolate are bad for dogs in large amounts. For the most part it's the same as with humans....to much of a good thing. Besides, Cali was much more interested in the rabbits that were running all over the place...lol

Pete

I have made a few small batches with them and given enough dilution and sugar, they make a fair wine.

I have taken a few cuttings and grew them. None have ever had fruit. The problem is that like you say some are male and some female. If you get cuttings from the wrong one, you get no blooms or grapes. They are also slow to start and remain thin for years. In my opinion, don't waste your time with them, grow vines that have been selected over the years as worthy of growing.

Thanks for chiming in Rich. Glad I was right about the male, female of the vines. If I do decide to take a few cuttings I'll have to make sure I take them just from female vines. I understand that they probably would never amount to much of anything but my yankee nature screams at me to never pass by freebee stuff...lol. I may just take a few cuttings for the heck of it and see what I can do with them anyway.

Pete

Latest posts

Back