Coffee Stout

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcasey

Reaction score
This was a very active fermentation and I was actually able to snap a pic while it was in progress. He racked it added the coffee today. I have no idea what the next step is or how long till bottling but being a coffee addict I am so looking forward to this one!

20091024_115313_DSCN5644_Deskto.JPG

Even better, he'll be kegging and Our oldest is helping him bottle the Pumpkin Porter. Yeah! Now just have to figure out how to fit it into next weekend.
VC

Looks yummy. I just pitched the yeast on an Oatmeal Cream Stout yesterday. I had seen recipes that added coffee but decided to go without - at least until I see how this batch tastes. Breakfast in a bottle?
smiley36.gif

That looks sooooo good!!!

I have never made beer, but I am thinking about trying one. I'm just not sure where to start. But, that picture is pretty inspiring.

Is that brew made from scratch Vcasey?

I love brewing! You just can't beat the quality of the beer. A nice place to start is extract brewing or a partial-mash extract batch. That way you know that you're starting with enough fermentable sugars and there are a LOT of great recipes and brew kits out there. Also, with extract you typically boil only about half of the liquid so you can do it in a large (around 12 quart) pot - always nice not to have to buy extra equipment when you're trying something new... of course, then you'll get the bug and before you know it you're doing full mash "brew days" with your friends...

Hubby hooked it up to a Guinness Tap the other day. Now it pours so smooth that its like a coffee milkshake. Even better for me - no milk!
Goodfella the coffee stout is an all grain from scratch recipe. This one turned out so well it is already on his to do list again.
VC

Feel like sharing the recipe? I'm set up for all grain and that beer looks wonderful.
smiley4.gif

Brewgrrrl said:
Feel like sharing the recipe? I'm set up for all grain and that beer looks wonderful.
smiley4.gif

I'd be happy to share but give me a day.
VC

Thanks, VC! I'm hoping to have a brew day over the winter and stouts are my favorite. Yours looks delicious and I'd love to brew up a batch for myself (well, I might share with some friends).
smiley4.gif

Looks great! I love stouts. Haven't tried making beer before, but after making some wine, a few meads, (and some gin in college), I guess beer is the next item on the agenda.

Here is hubby's coffee stout recipe

Coffee Stout

All Grain

Batch Size 5.5 Gallon

Boil</span> Size: 7 gallon

Boil Time 60 min

Ingredients

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 row)

1 lb Carmel
Malt - 60L (Briess)

.75 lb Black Barley</span> (Briess)

1 oz Pearle (8%)
60 min

1 tsp Irish Moss</span> 10 min

2.5 oz Starbucks Breakfast Blend Mild Whole
Coffee beans</span>

(Latin America</span>) in secondary

1.5 lb Turbinado sugar</span>

Wyeast British Ale (#1098) Yeast - Make a 2 qt starter

Target OG 1.076

Target FG 1.005

ABV 8.1%

Single Infusion</span>, Medium body, batch sparge

Mash for 60 min in 14.75 qts of water @ 154 F

Sparge with 5 gal 168 F water

Ferment</span> in primary @ 68 F for 1 week

Secondary @ 35 F for 1 week with coffee beans

Rack to corney keg, force carb to 1.8 volumes

Yes it helps to clear as well as extract the flavor from the coffee.

Wow, does your husband really get it down to 1.005?? That's like 93% attenuation!

Looks like a very interesting stout recipe with the turbinado addition and lack of roasted barley. I bet that makes a very nice stout! How strongly does the coffee come through?

Travisty said:
Wow, does your husband really get it down to 1.005?? That's like 93% attenuation!

Nevermind, I just put the numbers into ProMash. That's supposed to be 1.015 isn't it?
smiley9.gif

Latest posts

Back