indentations in corks with red Portuguese corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiat84

Reaction score
For those who have "indentations" in the top of their corks when using the Portuguese red floor corker this may indicate a problem.

Turns out my corker was not compressing the corks enough compared to a properly working model. A friend of mine came over with his older yellow Portuguese corker which is identical in design to the red type but his was much easier to use comparatively. His had more spring in the handle, when fully compressed the remaining hole was smaller, the corking procedure was incredibly smooth and easy with no indentations in either synthetic or regular corks. It was so easy a child could do it I was amazed at the difference.

Even used food grade silicone to lubricate my corker for maintenance annually but just assumed the cork was compressing enough as it did not leave any side indentations. Regular corks were softened in a cork humidor prior to use.

Unfortunate part is my corker has from day one left indentations on the top of most of the corks and when I read about "indentations" they were a regular occurrence. When in doubt try out a corker in the store with your own corks/bottles for comparison. Had thought about it a few times but never got around to doing it.

Mine does not leave indentations and if it did it would have gone back immediately as that was pretty much the reason why I stopped using my dble lever hand corker to buy this. Sorry to hea about this.

Latest posts

Back