Low specific gravity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfatwino

Junior
Reaction score
Just did my second racking on a Reisling. Specific gravity is 9.40 which seems low. From the posts I am seeing that this means the wine will be dry??? We prefer a sweeter wine. How can I correct this?

You could
backsweeten
add fruit in secondary after stabilized ( look at wine profile and decide what fruit to add)
____

I deleted your double post

Ok Just talked to my other half and he straightened me out. Specific Gravity is 994. Think I may still want to sweeten it up. Sorry for the mixup...I'm a blonde and I'm working midnights....need I say more!

BFW,
I think we all got the .994 thing, so no dumbness was inferred.:i Rieslings have been known to be dry wines, as well as off dry. Was the wine advertized as off dry? If so, you may want to contact your retailer or the kit manufacturer.

You can always stabilize with Sorbate, add K-Meta then back sweeten with a simple syrup of sugar disolved in water. Test it in small amounts and be careful not to oversweeten.

You can always stabilize with Sorbate, add K-Meta then back sweeten with a simple syrup of sugar disolved in water. Test it in small amounts and be careful not to oversweeten.
If there is a Riesling you like. Buy bit test the SG, drink it then sweeten yours to that level. Other way is add sugar to small amounts until it taste the way you like than measure SG and set batch to that level. All the above methods have added bonus of requiring you to drink wine:)

You only sweeten when the sg is stable meaning hopefully at or below 1.000 for a few days without movement. You will want to add the sulfite and then the sorbate to prevent any refermentation and then sweeten this wine with either a simple syrup made up of 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of boiling water or you can use a wine conditioner but you still need to add the sulfite and sorbate as the wine conditioner only contains enough sorbate in there to prevent the product itself from fermenting. It is basically an inverted sugar ready to use but its much cheaper to make it yourself. I prefer to sweeten my wine before clearing the wine as it can sometimes cloud the wine up again.

Latest posts

Back