Is a disease affecting this vine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricjhill

Junior
Reaction score
Hi I've just undertaken to restore a vineyard which has not be maintained for over 10 years. There is a vine in there which is almost totally dead and I'm wondering what has caused it. As background , there's been an unseasonal amount of rain and high temperatures in between. The next two photos of discolored leaves are from otherwise healthy plants.

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

Many different causes can give similar visual results. So diagnosis from a photo alone is not definitive. Given that disclaimer:

Photo 1: Not much information from dried leaves. It is possible that there was simply physical damage to the main trunk which killed the vine. If not, then sudden vine death in summer I usually would suspect a virus (e.g. fanleaf virus), viriod or bacteria (e.g. Pierce's disease).

Photo 2: Black rot?

Photo 3: I would say downy mildew (especially if you had a lot of rain).

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.. the weathers been awful, you might have had the same as i not that far from you in Bratislava, i assume you are based near Lake Balaton

Latest posts

Back