Question about bagging grapes.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:uWell, my bagging experiment could have gone much better. I bought glassine bags, which are a lightly waxed white bag, and bagged grapes for what seemed forever. Many of the grapes look as though they got sunburned in the bags, at least half the cluster they just dried up and turned brown, predominately the top third of the cluster. The bottom part of the cluster seemed to be fine. I'm getting close to picking, and the clusters that I didn't bag are normal, so , so much for that experiment! Next year I'll have bird netting. This is a wetter year than normal around here, and I hope the wasps leave my nortons alone....seems like hot and dry is when they bother the worst.

I picked my experimental batch of bagged Petite Pearl grapes yesterday. For me it was a success. They seemed to be very clean and excellent quality. They ripened uniformly with very few undeveloped or green grapes.. Zero problems with insects, birds and animals. I let them go 5-6 days longer than maybe I should have. They were brix 23 and pH 3.80. I made grape-elderberry jam out of them.

21278058_1781203308574544_587476625_o.jpg

21267671_1781203788574496_1830214335_o.jpg

Hi there,

I've got a south-facing backyard vineyard here in England, UK and saw somewhere the idea of using organza bags to protect ripening grapes. Here organza bags are generally for gift wrapping or wedding favours given to guests.

So far they've proved to be perfect for my purposes. They let in light air and rain, but protect from birds and, especially in August, wasps which love ripe grapes. See photo.

IMG_20170824_092640259.jpg

Latest posts

Back