Separating skins for transfer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could make it out of a fermentation pail.

Yup. I wish I'd thought at the time to use my pail I recently turned into the "basket" for my DIY press.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1495192528.080715.jpg
Sure felt like a gajillion when drilling! Still plan to make a new one out of 3" pvc. This 5.3 gallon pale won't be deep enough for bigger batches.

I'm going to Wack the bees nest and say that PVC technically isn't food grade.. technically not even good for drinking water..

Forgive my ignorance (and the thread jack) - I'm asking because I truly don't know. Why do so many houses have PVC pipes? Mine are technically CPVC, but I was under the impression that both PVC and CPVC are used for plumbing.

Forgive my ignorance (and the thread jack) - I'm asking because I truly don't know. Why do so many houses have PVC pipes? Mine are technically CPVC, but I was under the impression that both PVC and CPVC are used for plumbing.

CPVC is for water and PVC for drain lines. But the short time the wine is in contact with the PVC I don't really thing it would hurt anything.

Yup. I wish I'd thought at the time to use my pail I recently turned into the "basket" for my DIY press.
View attachment 36295
Sure felt like a gajillion when drilling! Still plan to make a new one out of 3" pvc. This 5.3 gallon pale won't be deep enough for bigger batches.

I started one as well. I think it will be perfect for one lug of grapes.

Also I just thought about this. Well pipe is PVC and water could sit in it for hours especially overnight and it doesn't seem to be a concern.

PVC is rated for service but not distribution. CPVC is rated for distribution because the C in CPVC stands for chlorinated.

My main concern is that you are basically dipping pvc in acid..

You could use a PET bottle (pop bottle)..

Or you could pick up a short length of stainless tube for pretty cheap.

Both pvc and cpvc are used for water. The "C" in CPVC pipe does indeed stand for chlorinated, the addition to the formula allows the pipe more flexibility, as well as the ability to handle hot water. There are millions of miles of pvc water piping in the US. I am totally unconcerned about dunking my pipe in wine for a few minutes.

Jim, I'm going to have to call you a trouble maker for asking this question. Play nice boys.

That's relevant to me Please elaborate if you don't mind. You've got me freaking out right now. The picture I posted above showing my "press basket" also shows my tray I used for pressing. GALVANIZED FREAKING STEEL.

Relax.. Calm down... take a deep breath!

You did NOT poison your wine. I have been using it for a good 20 years and, as far as I can tell, I am still alive..

Nor do I think that you did much harm using galvanized steel. I would not recommend its use, and would advise you to swap it out for something more "food safe", but I do not think that you did your wine much harm. Do not think that you need to toss your wine out! You should be perfectly fine!

Last edited:
Getting back to the OP, Here is what I use..

step/pic 1: Skim off the cap into the press. I got these BIG strainers (from a restaurant supply shop) and they work great. I skim the cap off BEFORE I pump out the free run juice in order to save me the back pain from having to scoop the skins off the bottom. Much easier this way.

Step/pc 2: Pump free run juice to tank/secondary. Note that I use PVC.

Step/pic3: press through a strainer and into the tank.

IMG_20150926_081802_309.jpg

IMG_20150926_102922_855.jpg

IMG_20150926_103752_798.jpg

It would take a heck of a lot for me to toss a batch. I'm about to bottle a bad oxidized bacteria ridden batch that's taken 10 months to bring back. (I also used this intense troubleshoot as a learning tool)
I'm also a commercial GC and work with galvanized fasteners and clips often. And I didn't put too much thought into my "press system" since I knew it was just going to be a one time use, picking up an actual wood press before fall.
I knew all the plastics were legit. And then checked the tray and saw it was galvanized. Without a second thought I figured, "great it's galvanized. Good to go". Instinctually making sure the METAL had protection, not the WINE!
I feel 90% of my winemaking knowledge comes from doing something incorrectly, and then troubleshooting said problem.

Latest posts

Back