New Yeast Plan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4score

Reaction score
If you are tired of battling with H2S (rotten egg, burn rubber) problems, check out these no-H2S yeast choices from Renaissance. One of them is very heat-tolerant (up to 95 degrees F). Apparently, this tech is from research done at UC Davis where they found one yeast culture (out of thousands) that produced no H2S. They effectively isolated the one attribute (enzyme) of this strain and mated it with other strains until they engineered a strain with all the properties of a highly desirable yeast, but with no-H2S attributes.

The Andante yeast looks like a winner to me and we decided to give it a try this season. It's high temp tolerant and high brix/alcohol tolerant. I can't find anything but great reviews from people using this in previous seasons.

http://www.gusmerwine.com

Thanks JohnT, I wanted to try it but I didn't want to buy that much.
Free Trial

OK...it's game time! I have 2000 pounds of Syrah crushed into two bins. It sat overnight and was ready for yeast this morning. This Andante is awesome so far. In my starter, it went absolutely nuts within minutes of adding the yeast. Turn up your volume. :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orU6OGITuvc[/ame]

It'd be nice to buy a small pack to try before one can buy the 500gr pack

Varis, they're offering a free trial packet. I've requested mine after mentioning WMT as where I got clued in about the free trial offer.

Very impressed with this yeast. Just finished pressing Grenache and Syrah and the yeast was vigorous. Got the job done with ZERO worries about H2S or high ferm temps. We even started a second-run brute (20 gal) using sugar water at 25 brix then adding back the just-pressed skins. The slurry in the bucket had Andante yeast cells that SPRANG back to life and I had a full cap within a couple hours!

I uses the Andante sample last year and really liked it. I ordered 500 grams from them for $32 including shipping. I did not have any H2S problems and MLF went along fine. I am not sure I noticed any malic acid being eaten, but I liked the yeast and am using it this year again.

Latest posts

Back