New Vineyard Prep

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havlikn

Reaction score
I am planning on planting an acre of grapes this spring. I am doing soil tests this week to confirm the make up of the soil. From records off the NRCS I know the soil is a sandy loam soil. Speaking with a farmer in the area whose family has farmed the soil for over 6 generations said the soil is a sandy mixture with a ph from 6.8 to 7.2. While I wait to get the soil tests completed to confirm the makeup of the soil, I was wondering peoples thoughts if I need to reduce this soil ph?

Also, I am planning on having the soil chisele plowed and leveled by the farmer. My research has me leaning towards companion grass for a ground cover. I know the ideal situation would have been to start this in the fall, but the opportunity arose to get it taken care of this spring. Will I be alright starting the vines and companion grass given the soil is not an issue? The land is mainly level with a slope in a few areas.

Thanks

The pH is higher than needed but you can live with it. You don't mention what kind of vines you are planting. Vinifera likes the pH a bit higher than the hybrids do.
What was planted on the field last year?
A lot of unanswered questions here and an acre of vines to start with will keep you busy for the next few years.
More information would help us help you more.

I plan to plant half Edelweiss and half Marechal Foch. I have debated planting Marquette over the Edelweiss, but like the idea of planting a white as well.

The land is in a cycle of hay, with hay next year and the remaining acres to stay in hay for the next couple of years.

Are you planning on making wine from them yourself or are you looking at selling the grapes? If you are making it for yourself, make what you like. If you are growing them to sell, make sure there is a market for the grapes first before deciding on varieties.

Hay is good and you should not have a problem with spray residue like you might get from corn or soybeans. You say hay next year. Do you mean in the grapes? Not a very good idea if so. It will compete with the young vines for moisture and nutrients and could smother out the small vines. Then you would have a very hard time harvesting the hay. If you just plan on mowing with a bush hog or lawn mower, that would work also.

The plan right now is to sell and harvest some of the grapes. The Edelweiss is the grape I am somewhat concerned with the market, but not the Foch and Marquette as local wineries are in need for these grapes.

There are 17 acres total of hay. We are taking away one of the acres with the intent to plant the companion grass as the cover crop. I'm concerned about the growth of the hay overtaking the vines, so I thought the companion grass would be adequate to cover the ground.

Soil should be prepared in the fall before planting unless you don't plan to dig or cultivate anything deeper than 10cm. Tilling in any soil amendments now will have little to no effect for the young vines.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

The edelweiss would be planted in SE wisconsin.

I took soil samples today. The soil is sandy as expected. Speaking with the ag officer today, he suggested letting the alfalfa grow that is there and spray roundup on the rows for the grapes? I know alfalfa is a legume, is this okay with grape vines?

Thanks

Doesn't sound like the guy that you spoke with has much vineyard experience. Alfalfa can add a lot of Nitrogen to the soil. Lots of nitrogen + hybrid grapes = excessive vigor. Also you would want to mow it fairly often to keep competition down for the vines and alfalfa would probably die out with frequent mowings. Personnaly I think there would be a better choice for a cover crop.

Well I got my soil sample data back but I need help reading what the information means. I do know one thing, the PH seems to be significantly higher than recommended levels.

North Sample
PH 7.4
OM 1.9
P 86
K 97
B .6
Mn 7
Z 5.3

South Sample
PH 7.9
OM 1.6
P 78
K 94
B .6
Mn 8
Z 8.7

Any help you could provide on what this all means would be great.
Thanks

Most of the numbers are in ppm (parts per million). Obviously, pH is pH. The Organic Matter should be percent.

P - phosphorous
K - potassium
B - boron
Mn - Manganese
Z - probably Zn (zinc)

All the numbers look to me to be in good ranges with high amounts but someone more knowledgeable hopefully will provide better analysis than I can.

Did you get a number for the nitrogen?

The pH's are on the high side but the are almost identical to my two vineyard sites - 7.8 and 7.5. Some grapes can tolerate that high pH without problem, others have more difficulties. I am not sure about edelweiss. The main problem being chlorosis - a problem up taking iron. If you see the leaves yellowing at all (google chlorosis and you will see examples), the pH is likely the cause. You could try to acidify your soil with sulfur amendments but that tends to be only a temporary. I've been told not to worry about the pH. But you want to make sure your varieties are known to be ok in that pH. My grapes (petite pearl, marquette, frontenac blanc and brianna) showed no signs of chlorosis that I could see in their first year and I didn't treat my soil.

Your soil test results like most other lab results should have the amount (you have given them) along with a normal range which you match up the level you got. That will tell you if you are in a high, normal or low value. If you listed the crop (grapes), many labs will give you a recommendation based on your results and soil type. Your pH is a bit high like Greg said but should not be terrible. If you want to lower it and you need to fertilize, use a chemical fertilizer from a feed store, etc as they tend to lower the pH with their use. Many times a Nitrogen value isn't listed since N is such a soluble nutrient. You could test it at one value, get heavy rain and it could be gone or nearly so. Generally the higher the OM (organic matter) the higher the N potential of the soil. As the OM breaks down it provides N.
That is a real quick summary for you.

Thanks guys, you didn't dash my hopes. Grapeman I'm planning on spraying under and tilling under the alfalfa at the end of the month. Do you have a preferred cover crop? I like the idea of companion grass, but also have seen oats and bluegrass as workable as well.

What you use depends on what grows well in your area. I like a shorter growing fescue as it grows fairly densely without getting excessively tall. Check and see what others use if possible and maybe ask how they like it.

I talked with a ag extension officer in Vernon county and he agreed the while my soil ph was high, he would still go through with planting. Attached is a picture showing where the intended vineyard will start, 12 rows with 29 vines in each row. I am planning on planting Foch grape vines towards the end of May. Next weekend I plan to spray roundup on the vine rows. The ag officer suggested I don't remove the alfalfa by tilling it under, just mowing it short the first year to kill it off. I know that isn't what others recommended, but that is how we are planning to go forward.

Now for planting, has anyone use a rotodriller for planting the vines? http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-IRT-1-Driller-9-Inch/dp/B00HD7OHOS

If not, what other suggestions do you have for the planting?

PANO_20140427_101353.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that is way too small to plant with. What type of vines are you getting? Are they bare root, potted, ? If bare root you need holes at least a foot wide, preferably more. A shovel works well.

Latest posts

Back