What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Costco must have not gotten the Memo about the Brisket supply shortage making prices skyrocket........

Our BFF"s made a Costco run yesterday and asked if I needed anything........

14lb Prime Brisket is now resting in the freezer for another day. My meat hoarding freezer is complete! LOL

IMG_5346.JPG

Well Costco must have not gotten the Memo about the Brisket supply shortage making prices skyrocket........

Our BFF"s made a Costco run yesterday and asked if I needed anything........

14lb Prime Brisket is now resting in the freezer for another day. My meat hoarding freezer is complete! LOL

View attachment 61169

That's a nice piece of meat :cool:

Lots of Mexican dishes coming up it looks like. We're making Baja style fish tacos tomorrow afternoon/night based on Rick Bayless recipe. Homemade tortillas, salsas and cream. Just mixed up the sangria (using a couple of bottles I had left of a 2015 blackberry merlot). It's the closest recipe I've found to the one they make at house of blues in Vegas. Updates tomorrow......
Sangria.jpg

Lots of Mexican dishes coming up it looks like. We're making Baja style fish tacos tomorrow afternoon/night based on Rick Bayless recipe. Homemade tortillas, salsas and cream. Just mixed up the sangria (using a couple of bottles I had left of a 2015 blackberry merlot). It's the closest recipe I've found to the one they make at house of blues in Vegas. Updates tomorrow......
View attachment 61175

87 degrees and sunny here today. I'd have a hard time staying away from that Sangria.

We only got to 84, they called for 82 so that's pretty accurate forecast. Wind has been prevalent all day. Wifey and I took a longer that normal walk (always depends on the state of my arthritic knee, which has been better since I dropped a few pounds). Realized when we got home it was 5:15 and I hadn't even started the charcoal to cook dinner. Needless to say we sat down to eat at 6:35, which is pretty late for us.

Marinated a top round cut for about 7 hours in a carne asda type marinate. I think it would have been better to marinate overnight, but the end pieces were the beef of choice (of course I get my plate last and they were all history). Also noticed, as I checked the temps the first time (and last time) that I have to remember that the grill gets food done quicker when the ambient temps are 20-30 degrees higher than what they were the last time I cooked. So the first probing of the meat showed it was 130 at the coolest part. Pulled it, wrapped in foil and let sit for 20 minutes. Cooked up some of the left over marinate to kill and beef nasties and no one including myself used it. Tender, flavorful and just a nice dinner overall. Served with sliced fried taters with onion and lot's of pepper and some frozen mixed veges.

Wifey and I plan on sitting at the edge of the garage and enjoy one of the first 80 degree days we've had this year. Of course some wine or beer might be involved. Thinking of using the bottom of the Weber bullet smoker to make a makeshift fire pit in the driveway.

Hope all are safe and have a great evening!

5-15-20_carne-asada-1.jpg

5-15-20_carne-asada-2.jpg

Wow, this top sirloin came up great!!
Served with salad and a bit of rice and shrimp that our Colombian friend just brought to us.

View attachment 61173View attachment 61174

Glad it came out well. I think what you got at Costco is considered 'Sirloin Cap' which is a little different than your typical sirloin and perhaps closer to Tri Tip - though my bovine anatomy isn't all that great. Either way, it looks tender, delicious, and cooked to perfection.

Glad it came out well. I think what you got at Costco is considered 'Sirloin Cap' which is a little different than your typical sirloin and perhaps closer to Tri Tip - though my bovine anatomy isn't all that great. Either way, it looks tender, delicious, and cooked to perfection.

yeah, cap.

Guys, would you put rub on the pork shoulder and leave overnight in the fridge? Or not a good idea and better to do it right before I put on the grill?

Guys, would you put rub on the pork shoulder and leave overnight in the fridge? Or not a good idea and better to do it right before I put on the grill?

I've never felt the need, but know those that do.

I've never felt the need, but know those that do.

got too late to do it now, so tomorrow I’ll do it and start the cook.
I should’ve put things in place today with grill ready with charcoal but got distracted and was getting very windy, we’re getting hit hard tonight with some heavy downpours and maybe some heavy thunderstorms.

It was in the 240s but then I went to spritz some and lost some heat, needed some coals too so cranked it up a bit and now hovering in the 290s, meat is getting close.....I will wrap at ~160F.

Latest posts

Back