What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut about 5/16" thick, soaked in a salt water brine for 4 hours then fried at 350 for about 5 minutes. Pulled, rested them about 10 minutes while I took the oil to a little above 375 then gave them a second fry for another 3 or 4 minutes. Salted and served. Probably just being so fresh made them taste so good too.
Mike

We grilled burgers Sat night and the Fries came out better than most restaurant fries. Sun we did brisket that I put in the smoker Sat night. It tasted great but I think it was too small and flat to take the whole long cook treatment. never made it to really tender and it couldn't have cooked any longer without drying out. Still great weekend of food.
Mike

Do you wrap your brisket in butcher paper and put it in an empty cooler for a few hours to get past the "stall' temperature (165F i think)?

Successful Costco run today. 3lbs of filets, 4lbs of Prime NY Strips, and almost 3.5lbs of flank steak (two steaks) for just over $110. Got 6 filets. The strip steaks were about 1 3/4 inches thick - nearly a pound each, so I cut 'em in half and got 8 steaks. Seasoned them up and vac sealed. We're good on steak for quite some time. They also had plenty of Prime briskets at $3.49/lb. Gas holding steady at $1.69 the last few weeks. No, I didn't get the grill, but they had a few of them.

1588020155103.jpeg

Attachments

• B2168A81-BA44-4621-B992-7A598C93D8D3.jpeg
    B2168A81-BA44-4621-B992-7A598C93D8D3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • 948FB533-1AFF-4DE7-BDA6-F016635613C2.jpeg
    948FB533-1AFF-4DE7-BDA6-F016635613C2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • DB4C54CE-CA88-437F-8BB6-AB364ADF9C0B.jpeg
    DB4C54CE-CA88-437F-8BB6-AB364ADF9C0B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • CD029B6A-5065-4596-B64C-48B79EF20CE7.jpeg
    CD029B6A-5065-4596-B64C-48B79EF20CE7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Successful Costco run today. 3lbs of filets, 4lbs of Prime NY Strips, and almost 3.5lbs of flank steak (two steaks) for just over $110. Got 6 filets. The strip steaks were about 1 3/4 inches thick - nearly a pound each, so I cut 'em in half and got 8 steaks. Seasoned them up and vac sealed. We're good on steak for quite some time. They also had plenty of Prime briskets at $3.49/lb. Gas holding steady at $1.69 the last few weeks. No, I didn't get the grill, but they had a few of them.

View attachment 60480
+Got gas in Green Bay for $.99, and $.03 with rewards card but ended up with $.23 off/gal, so $.76 per gallon.

Glad to hear. All you hear/see these days is the supply chain is breaking which means people will go wipe out all the meat even if they don't need it like TP.

I think we could last till Xmas. Prime Rib, NY Strip, Beef Tenderloin, Pork Butt, Chuck Roast, Beef Ribs, BB Ribs. The only thing I have none of is any Brisket........ :d

Got more than my share of hours done at work today (only working 80%, so about 6.5 hours) and noticed the clouds were rolling in rather quickly, so I fired up the Weber kettle to do some tuna for lunch. Coated with some Chef Prudhomme's meat magic, black pepper and some "garlic garlic" (my wife used to do a tastefully simple business). Overdid mine a little, didn't think the fire was all that hot. Topped it on a salad and lunch was served. Yum!

4-28-20_tuna-1.jpg

4-28-20_tuna-2.jpg

Got more than my share of hours done at work today (only working 80%, so about 6.5 hours) and noticed the clouds were rolling in rather quickly, so I fired up the Weber kettle to do some tuna for lunch. Coated with some Chef Prudhomme's meat magic, black pepper and some "garlic garlic" (my wife used to do a tastefully simple business). Overdid mine a little, didn't think the fire was all that hot. Topped it on a salad and lunch was served. Yum!

View attachment 60496

View attachment 60497

Awesome.
Never did tuna on the grill. You go direct for a short time and then indirect?

Gotta buy me some tuna at Costco.

Awesome.
Never did tuna on the grill. You go direct for a short time and then indirect?

Gotta buy me some tuna at Costco.

Reasonable people may disagree, of course, but most civilized folk :) prefer their tuna to be seared on the outside, and not very done on the inside. (As Craig alluded to.) To get that, you want to cook the tuna steak over very high, direct heat, but just a coupla minutes a side. That leaves you with something like this:

tuna2.jpgtuna1.jpg

View attachment 60496

View attachment 60497

Awesome lunch, Craig! A helluva lot better than the tuna from a can that I used for my sandwich!

I had a quick change on plans due to weather as well. Was planning on mowing this afternoon, but when the radar made it appear as though the rain would start around 9:30 or 10:00, I got out at 8:30 to cut the lawn. My still-sleeping wife was most pleased with me. :p

Reasonable people may disagree, of course, but most civilized folk :) prefer their tuna to be seared on the outside, and not very done on the inside. (As Craig alluded to.) To get that, you want to cook the tuna steak over very high, direct heat, but just a coupla minutes a side. That leaves you with something like this:

View attachment 60499View attachment 60500

Hmmm, looks a bit too pinky for me, maybe I'll go 3 mins each side :)

Back