What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good! And so does the color on your Zin. I have to remind myself sometimes that Zin is said to be a medium bodied wine.

Regarding the tomatoes, there is a huge difference in my sauce when I use San Marzano tomatoes. They are double the cost, but appear to be worth it.

I wanted to whip up some sauce and add some frozen meatballs from the last batch I made. I was overruled - 'too soon' they said. So we're having frozen pizza. :(

Not Dinner by a long shot but is there anything better than a glazed, buttermilk, old fashion doughnut? Well, how about a Giant "Ol'Fashioned".....
oldfashionfirst.jpg
It's actually a Doughnut Cake from a recipe on Facebook, Tastes just like the real thing. Has 2 tsps of ground nutmeg in it, I never identified that flavor before but they nailed it. Doughnuts, not just for breakfast anymore!
oldFashioncloseup.jpg
Mike

Not Dinner by a long shot but is there anything better than a glazed, buttermilk, old fashion doughnut? Well, how about a Giant "Ol'Fashioned".....
View attachment 60392
It's actually a Doughnut Cake from a recipe on Facebook, Tastes just like the real thing. Has 2 tsps of ground nutmeg in it, I never identified that flavor before but they nailed it. Doughnuts, not just for breakfast anymore!
View attachment 60393
Mike

1587820718663.png

Slept in till 6:15 am, pretty late for me. I guess being on the phone with my brother for 2 1/2 hours with a bottle of wine sitting next to me may be a contributing factor. NY Strip roast (3 lb+) for dinner tonight. Marinating in some EVOO, garlic, cracked black pepper, garlic, rosemary, garlic and some salt. Would have added a cup of red zin but when I looked for the bottle, I found it outside near my grill and it was empty. The nerve of someone to drink the rest of my wine!

4-25-20_ny-strip-roast-raw.jpg

The strip roast, though a bit overdone for my taste, was perfect for the rest of the tribe. Did on the Weber kettle charcoal grill with a few mesquite chunks on the side. Cooked it like I do an eye round roast, in an aluminum pan w/holes in the bottom for fat drainage. Cooked to 130*F but rested for 20 minutes and it had just a slight hint of red in the center. The garlic, rosemary and black pepper did infuse the meat (marinated for six hours in the fridge), and an occasional burst of pepper from the crust was delightful. Served w/baked potato for me and sweet taters for the others, along with some steamed broccoli. Had a glass of Vieux Chateau Du Roi, which will turn four years old in two months, to compliment the beef. It was a nice match (though I should have had a brunello on second thought). The beef was incredibly tender, I cut it with a butter knife, but could have used a fork. Never used the steak sauce in the image, it wasn't necessary.

Just nice to have a partly sunny, warm day to hang out and watch something good cook!

4-25-20_ny-strip-roast-plate.jpg

I think it would be interesting if we could get a couple of us on zoom meeting as we were cooking meals. We could shoot the s**t and learn from others' methods of cooking. Now if it was dinner for me, @Boatboy24, @geek and @mainshipfred, it would be lunch for @ibglowin and @Kraffty, but cocktail time for @Johnd, @sourgrapes and @GreginND. Just a thought. We use zoom for our prayer meetings on Sunday evening and it has been working really well. Now we only have four or five who attend, I've heard it can get rather cumbersome when you get eight or more. One of us would have to get an account or the meeting is limited to 40 minutes, then you have to spawn a new session for the next 40 minutes. I'll check and ask my Pastor what she just paid to get the full subscription.

Like I said, just a thought.

We're grilling burgers, making real French Fries, (I usually bake but what the heck). I put the coal pan from my brinkman in the center of my webber with the plan of firing up a bunch of lump charcoal, grilling the burgers then throwing the pan into the smoker and adding the flat of a brisket to cook overnight for tomorrow's dinner. It's 86 on the patio, humidity in the teens, nice breeze blowing, ice cold beers at hand, bottle of zin resting for dinner, music playing on the Bose and nothing else pressing for the weekend. I can do this.....IMG_7574.jpgIMG_7575.jpg
Mike

Oh, wish I was there. Warm, dry, good food cooking, ice cold beer! What'd ya playing over them there Bose? We should have a contest to see who can guess closest. How about some CSNY Déjà Vu?

Latest posts

Back