What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used the "plain" chicken I grilled on the charcoal yesterday to do a version of chicken divan. I usually like it with asparagus, but the kids prefer green beans. Made up a GF cream of chicken concoction with some half 'n half and gluten free flour. Added a pile of mild cheddar cheese to the sauce and on top of the pounded chicken pieces. The GF kid reminded me that we hadn't had that in a while and he expected it a little more often. Served over some long grain white rice. I took my son's comments as a vote that he liked it!

View attachment 49159

Oh man, memories. One of my favorites as a kid. I had this insane antipathy to onions for some reason. My mom sucker punched me by using french-fried/dried onions in her divan, and I'd eat "whatever those things are" by the bucketful.

Looks wonderful!

Census was low today for surgeries, so my Wife took off and used the season passes she got the three remaining kids for Hershey Park. Not my thing unless they let me hangout at the beer booths, so I headed home to an empty house and no responsibility for anyone else's dinner. Found a reasonably priced strip steak at the Giant, got some portabella shrooms and zucchini. Had a nice dinner for me on charcoal. Still have 1/3 of the steak/mushrooms/grilled zucchini packaged up for lunch tomorrow!

Did some more parallel parking practice with my daughter. I think she's a natural (has her test on Friday, so we'll see just how natural). She wants to practice on "live" cars tomorrow, and since I've done two sessions already, my wife gets the pleasure of enduring that one, unfortunately in my car. :(

6-6-18_steak.jpg

Looks like a crouton salad to me! LOL

I put this in the gardening thread as well..

My attempt to eat healthier. Did a little harvest of lettuce from the garden.

Grilled chicken Ceasar salad. From ground to tummy in under an hour. Yummy.

Not exactly what we are used to, but I found a nice, thick ribeye the other day. Just some S&P, then seared in butter. Paired with a mache (or lamb's lettuce) salad, roasted 'taters, green beens, and some 'shrooms and shallots. A cheapish, youngish right-bank Bordeaux made everything that much better! (A bit tannic, could have used a few more years in the cellar, but it opened up just fine after a while.)

DSCN1345.jpg DSCN1346.jpg DSCN1347.jpg DSCN1350.jpg

You had to get "lamb" in there somewhere! LOL

Not exactly what we are used to, but I found a nice, thick ribeye the other day. Just some S&P, then seared in butter. Paired with a mache (or lamb's lettuce) salad, roasted 'taters, green beens, and some 'shrooms and shallots. A cheapish, youngish right-bank Bordeaux made everything that much better! (A bit tannic, could have used a few more years in the cellar, but it opened up just fine after a while.)

fullsizeoutput_35eb.jpeg

Made good use of some of last night's leftover grilled chicken. Just a little lemon juice, EVOO, S&P. Delish! Fresh watermelon for dessert. It's beginning to feel like summer. Let's go, Caps!!!

(OK, that Caps part doesn't feel too summery, but it feels right)

Last edited:
It's lunch, not dinner, and I didn't make it, but ain't that a purdy lunch?:
Looks a little light on the shrimps! :)

Pizza night. Wifey took daughter for drivers test (she passed, I don't have to get up at 4:45 am tomorrow to take her to work, yeah!) and I was grocery shopping (aka foraging for the weekend meals). So didn't have time to make pizza dough, so had to deal with store bought. Worked out pretty well. Mine was done on the grill with some thick sliced mozzarella and a few portabello mushroom slices. Ended up a bit watery because I didn't cook down the shrooms and the grill doesn't get quite as hot as the convection oven, but still very tasty IMHO. Served with a few cold Blue's.

6-8-18_pizza-2.jpg

Sorry, forgot the Blue image, eh?

6-8-18_blue.jpg

Last edited:
Asked the now 11 year old daughter if she preferred a London broil or a spatchcocked chicken. She wanted the chicken, so immediately started soaking the beef in a marinate (something my Mom calls steak siciliano). My daughter has a "sleep over" tonight, so she didn't eat dinner with the rest of the family. Cooked the beef over charcoal till 145*F and rested 15 minutes, ended up a bit too well done for me, still a "blush" of color on each piece, but my wife loved it. So if she loves it, I love it, even if I don't, if you know what I mean (and most married men know what I mean). Got lot's of stuff done in the yard today (finally a dry weekend day), so heading to the shower and a good wine book in bed and an early turn in...sometimes (actually most times) life is good!

6-9-18_beef.jpg

6-9-18_beef-2.jpg

Raining day, which was good so I could rest my old bones (I hurt today (lot's of yard work yesterday), taking the ground hog to better pastures after lunch was a real insult, he was heavy in that cage). So I started up the charcoal and made a "beer can" chicken. Though it was on a seltzer can because of my GF son, filled with some really spicy jerk marinate (couldn't really taste it in the finished product, I was bummed). Also tried dry roasting some whole carrots on the side, not too bad, not overly smokey (foiled them after 20 minutes), I was surprised. Served with brussel sprouts and some ho-made mac 'n cheese.

I found a lot of pleasure in the warmth of the grill on my porch as I sat in a chair and re-read my beer can chicken book, it was maybe 62*F today, way too cool for a June day around these parts.

6-10-18_beer-can-chicken.jpg

Sous Vide Tri Tip tacos tonight. Took the tri tip and gave it a spice rub, followed by ~4.5 hours @ 131 in the SV. Seared on the Performer w/ a bit of Mesquite at 550+ and did some peppers for snacks/garnish. This was an interesting recipe - normal Chile/spice, but it called for a very light coat of mayo before searing. I think it helped get a nice crust.

I'm always on the fence about seasoning before the bath vs. after. Seasoning before seemed to work wonderfully in this case.

Out of the bath - after several hours, only about an ounce of juice from this Angus Tri Tip.

41884799335_cc59fb414e_z.jpg

With the light coat of mayo:

42735984362_60dee6d564_z.jpg

At the turn:

41884799135_40384af7d8_z.jpg

Resting, and smelling delicious:

42735983972_ae287fcf94_z.jpg

Sliced and ready:

42735983632_01282c99bf_z.jpg

Peppers on the grill:

42735984482_52cc9d3c50_z.jpg

Taco almost done - still waiting for the homemade salsa:

41884798525_ea75586763_z.jpg

Last edited:
Sous Vide Tri Tip tacos tonight. Took the tri tip and gave it a spice rub, followed by ~4.5 hours @ 131 in the SV. Seared on the Performer w/ a bit of Mesquite at 550+ and did some peppers for snacks/garnish. This was an interesting recipe - normal Chile/spice, but it called for a very light coat of mayo before searing. I think it helped get a nice crust.

I'm always on the fence about seasoning before the bath vs. after. Seasoning before seemed to work wonderfully in this case.

Out of the bath - after several hours, only about an ounce of juice from this Angus Tri Tip.

41884799335_cc59fb414e_z.jpg

With the light coat of mayo:

42735984362_60dee6d564_z.jpg

At the turn:

41884799135_40384af7d8_z.jpg

Resting, and smelling delicious:

42735983972_ae287fcf94_z.jpg

Sliced and ready:

42735983632_01282c99bf_z.jpg

Peppers on the grill:

42735984482_52cc9d3c50_z.jpg

Taco almost done - still waiting for the homemade salsa: