Watermelon Wine Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the time it heats up with fermentation you are past the part where the watermelon will spoil, which is the reason for using and insulated primary, to keep it from spoiling.........I think I need some more coffee.....:sl

That's why I used an Igloo Cooler. Ice takes a couple days to melt inside it, if it's kept indoors. It worked perfect for the watermelon. I din't even refrigerate it, and the frozen strawberries thawed fairly quick once added to the "closer to room temp" must. The yeast starter gave me atleast a 1/2 day head start as well.

Opened a bottle tonight. Tastes great, and the edge it had before is going away. As long as it smooths out, this batch wont last long!

Tried another bottle. I tasted strawberry more than watermelon, my wife says it tastes more like watermelon. This should be very interesting next summer when it comes to age!

It's almost a year old now. A little too sweet, and I believe the ABV is a little too high. Still drinkable, but would be superb with a 12% abv and a final Sg of 1.020

Now I'm worried about my watermelon batch that I started last night. Sounds like it may not turn out like I expect.

keep it on the cooler side, what yeast did you use?

I forgot the name of the yeast. I just purchased this.

What kind of yeast should I be using in the event I didn't get the right one and I will know next time?

Lalvin EC-1118

You need to work fast yet keep it cool. As my mellon started to thaw I added the yeast which I had fully fermenting with some inverted sugar water. This way the yeast took off fast and fermented it before it had time to go bad

As djrockinsteve said, Lavlin1118 and the yeast needs to hit the must at a run. Can you get the room cooler or set the primary in a tub with water and some ice. Get the must down to around 60 degrees.

Lalvin EC-1118

You need to work fast yet keep it cool. As my mellon started to thaw I added the yeast which I had fully fermenting with some inverted sugar water. This way the yeast took off fast and fermented it before it had time to go bad

As djrockinsteve said, Lavlin1118 and the yeast needs to hit the must at a run. Can you get the room cooler or set the primary in a tub with water and some ice. Get the must down to around 60 degrees.

I'm glad that you all mentioned something about the yeast. I looked on my pack and I have the wrong kind. I have Lalvin K1-V1116. So, I will pick up the type that you all have mentioned.

When I got home yesterday, I checked on it and I noticed a VERY slight "smell" to it. I'm glad that I checked on it. I will try to get it as low as possible. Tonight is the night to add the yeast. Sounds like it almost needs to go in the fridge kinda cool. I'm scared that it may sour like you all have mentioned about strawberry wine. I will try getting a tub and putting some ice in it. I think that will do the trick. Thanks for that tip. Much appreciated. I would have never thought about this. I'm so glad that you all know about all of this because I am still clueless. Only been trying to make wine for a couple months now. I still have a LONG way to go.

Thanks for all of the tips and knowledge that you all provide.

You could use the Lalvin K1-1116 yeast. Just create a starter first to get the yeast going strong.

In the packet you have dehydrated yeast. When they are placed in water they immediately wake up and begin moving around. They drink some water and then after 15 minutes are looking for food, aka inverted sugar.

Once they begin eating they begin reproducing. The offspring eat drink and do the same. The by product of this is CO2 and alcohol.

With watermelon the faster the "must" ferments the less chance you have of it souring.

Take about 2 ounces of very warm almost hot water. 100 degrees is perfect. Tap water is fine unless you have bad water. You can microwave the water a few seconds but don't let it get too hot.

With @ 2 ounces of 100 degree water in a small container that is washed very well with hot water, not soapy water, take your yeast packet and slowly shake the yeast out into the container. As the yeast hit the water some will begin to sink but all will become moistened. Back and forth until all of the yeast is in the container..

Pick up the container and gently shake back and forth just a few times to moisten all the yeast. Place the container on the counter and set your timer 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes you will see a bubbly brown concoction. With most wines we would add this directly to the juice and allow it to begin working on the juice. With difficult juices you create a starter to increase the quantity of the yeast.

You can add either a little of your watermelon juice, maybe an ounce or two or add 2 ounces of inverted sugar water. Warm not cold.

15 minutes later you will have a batch of yeast going strong. If you are very paranoid you can add additional sugar water and repeat another 15-30 minutes then add to your watermelon juice.

No need to worry about the watermelon being 60-65 degrees as these yeasts (Lalvin) will work. Simply stir it in.

A few hours later you can give the "must" a gentle stir which may bring up some bubbles. This would be CO2 and yes your yeasts are feeding upon the watermelon.

Stir a few times a day and keep the batch cool. Check the specific gravity after a few days and you should see how the must is progressing.

Never be afraid of asking questions on here. All of us at one time had no idea what we were doing and needed help. We too are still learning. That is one of the main reasons for this forum is to help others learn how to make not only wine, but excellent wine.

Wine making can be somewhat forgiving but you do need to adhere to a few basic principles.

When asking questions please give as much info as possible so that we can expedite an answer.

FYI, jack Keller has a blog post on watermelon wine from last week in which he discusses the importance of chilling your yeast starter.

You could use the Lalvin K1-1116 yeast. Just create a starter first to get the yeast going strong.

In the packet you have dehydrated yeast. When they are placed in water they immediately wake up and begin moving around. They drink some water and then after 15 minutes are looking for food, aka inverted sugar.

Once they begin eating they begin reproducing. The offspring eat drink and do the same. The by product of this is CO2 and alcohol.

With watermelon the faster the "must" ferments the less chance you have of it souring.

Take about 2 ounces of very warm almost hot water. 100 degrees is perfect. Tap water is fine unless you have bad water. You can microwave the water a few seconds but don't let it get too hot.

With @ 2 ounces of 100 degree water in a small container that is washed very well with hot water, not soapy water, take your yeast packet and slowly shake the yeast out into the container. As the yeast hit the water some will begin to sink but all will become moistened. Back and forth until all of the yeast is in the container..

Pick up the container and gently shake back and forth just a few times to moisten all the yeast. Place the container on the counter and set your timer 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes you will see a bubbly brown concoction. With most wines we would add this directly to the juice and allow it to begin working on the juice. With difficult juices you create a starter to increase the quantity of the yeast.

You can add either a little of your watermelon juice, maybe an ounce or two or add 2 ounces of inverted sugar water. Warm not cold.

15 minutes later you will have a batch of yeast going strong. If you are very paranoid you can add additional sugar water and repeat another 15-30 minutes then add to your watermelon juice.

No need to worry about the watermelon being 60-65 degrees as these yeasts (Lalvin) will work. Simply stir it in.

A few hours later you can give the "must" a gentle stir which may bring up some bubbles. This would be CO2 and yes your yeasts are feeding upon the watermelon.

Stir a few times a day and keep the batch cool. Check the specific gravity after a few days and you should see how the must is progressing.

Never be afraid of asking questions on here. All of us at one time had no idea what we were doing and needed help. We too are still learning. That is one of the main reasons for this forum is to help others learn how to make not only wine, but excellent wine.

Wine making can be somewhat forgiving but you do need to adhere to a few basic principles.

When asking questions please give as much info as possible so that we can expedite an answer.

So, I need to do this with the Lalvin EC-1118 yeast as well or just the Lalvin K1-1116 yeast?

OFF TOPIC: I have Lalvin K1-V1116 for strawberry wine. Is that what everyone is using?

Latest posts

Back