Never made a kit wine, what are differences between grades.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MixItUp

Junior
Reaction score
A local brew shop has Winexpert kits, and I would like to try it as it's the most practical way for me to make wine. I have had enough of fruit wine for a while.

There are different grades of quality of the kits.

Does, say, a $140 kit really taste like a better quality wine than a $70 kit, assuming we are dealing with whites?

or

Would I be better off making twice as much with $70 kits?

Thank You

PS I'm not a wine snob yet.....so I do not have any developed tastes for fine particulars.

Paying more to get a better kit can produce a better wine that often ages better. BUT... I think it's more important to match the kit/expense to the user. If you were to shop for a wine at the liquor store, what would you normally buy? A $60 bottle of wine or a $12 bottle. If you are fine with a cheaper wine, you'll be fine with the less expensive kits. Most people I know like the wines from the $70 kits more than anything they're buying at the store. After you have a good supply of wine in the cellar, then you can splurge and get a high end kit and decide if it's worth the money to you.

I would equate it to buying a car. If choosing between a $30,000 car and $65,000 car, I'd most likely go for the cheaper one because I wouldn't fully appreciate the little benefits the extra $35,000 would get me. But some people are buying the more expensive car because those little extra features are REALLY important to them. Both cars will get me back and forth to work.

Latest posts

Back