Please check my calculation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
I have a CC Yakima Valley Riesling (6 gallon) that has been bulk aging for about 8 months. I just filtered it and I'm ready to bottle. The SG is .994. I want to keep it relatively dry so I thought I'd bring it up to 1.000. My calculation says that I need to add .81 pounds (368 grams) of sugar to accomplish this. Would someone please verify this? Thanks!! :a1

Without looking up the conversion I have 2.4 ounces of sugar by weight per gallon to raise .994 to 1.000

6 gallons would be 14.4 ounces
Keep in mind all carboys are not exactly the same size and you often have a little bit more than 6 gallons.

Start off with less than you figure. Blend and check again. You can always add more.

How do you know that 1.000 is what you really want? I would think it is more important to get it to your own taste, rather than a particular SG, although maybe you already know that 1.000 is just right for you.
Do sort of like what is recommended for acid additions - add half at a time and (taste) test. Give it about 24 hours to really mix well before you taste.

I know it is a matter of taste, but I would not call an SG of 1.000 "relatively dry."

I don't have a point of reference for how sweet a Riesling at 1.000 would be. I know I really do enjoy a semi-sweet, off dry Riesling, myself, even though I have never made one... yet.

Most charts I've seen show .990 to 1.000 as being in the "dry range".

Yes, that is true. At an SG of 1.000, there is no discernible sweetness for most people. So, what is your plan for bringing it up to a non-discernible point, so it will be sort of neutral, right between dry and sweet? If so, that sounds interesting; I might actually like it at that same place. Let us know how it turns out. I really want to make a Riesling someday soon.

From there 1.000 thru 1.08 is a medium dry But it's not so much where you sweeten it to it's where you like it.

Take a small amount, maybe a cup and add 4 ounces of sugar or less it it. Invert it. Then siphon some dry wine into your testing jar but let it fall about 2 inches short from where a hydrometer would float. Spoon in some of your sugar wine you just inverted. See on your hydrometer where it is. .998, 1.003 etc. Take a small taste and see if you like it, too sweet or still too dry. Repeat adding more or less of each wine to your test tube until you discover what you enjoy.

From there blend the two wines back together. Take a new reading. Calculate how much sugar is needed to hit the mark you like. Invert and blend.

It sounds like a lot but can be done farely quick. Let it rest a few weeks then bottle. Remember the sorbate.

In the future you will learn approx. where you enjoy what wines giving you a better area to start out at.

Thanks to all for your comments/suggestions. Here's what I've decided to do. I purchased a bottle of Columbia Crest, Two Vines Riesling. The comments on the bottle claimed to have a "--slightly sweet finish". The hydrometer test showed it to be 1.005. For my palate it was a little too sweet.
I will add 13 ounces of inverted sugar to bring it to 1.000. If that doesn't taste right, I'll add another 5 ounces to get to around 1.002. Thanks again!!

Just remember the acid % of the wine will also effect the taste. When the acid is higher than another wine you need more sugar to reach the same taste as the other wine.

Think of 2 glasses of iced tea. Add 2 ounces of lemon juice to one of them. You will need more sugar for the one with the lemon juice to reach the same sweetness area you like.

Start on the low side as you can always add more. I know it takes a few more minutes but doing a small test batch is the safe way to go.

Thanks Steve, I'll take it slow. The pH is 3.45 and the TA is .69

Last edited:
Update

I added a cup and a half of inverted sugar to the Riesling. It took it right to 1.000-----perfect. I bottled it today.

Latest posts

Back