Just an introduction...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My husband and I love wine...all types of wine...probably too much :d So, we figured why not start making it? So, one night we talked about it and a week later we have 3 different batches fermenting! I would say "jumping in with both feet..." might be an understatement!

At first we started with a wine-kit - a Cellar Craft Late Harvest Riesling - just so we could "get our feet wet". (Pardon all the foot references...we by no means insert our feet into our fermenters!) We just wanted to see if we'd even be able to follow the instructions. ...Mostly we were intimidated by the "chemistry" of it all - hydrometer readings and what-not. Then after seeing how "non-scary" it was, we said "what the heck" and started fermenting plums for what hopefully will be a plum wine -5 gallons (plums from my brother's tree) and a small batch (only 1 gallon) of peaches! I guess the worst that could happen is it is awful and we pour it down the drain! ...All lessons learned :)

We live in Western WA and have access to many beautiful crops of fresh fruit and are very excited about our new hobby! We want to do all sorts of wines - reds, whites, fruits - you name it, it's on our list! I'm hoping to get any answers I need and lots of great insight from other newbies and veterans on this forum.

Cheers! ~ Anne :dg

Hi Anne, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have been bitten by the "home wine making bug" and that is great. You will find a lot of help and knowledge on the board. Hope you enjoy it.

Welcome to the board and I guess we should warn you that wine making can be addicting. :D

Thanks everybody! ...I think I'm already addicted to winemaking! ...Let's just hope the 3 I have "on tap" taste decent enough to consume!

I think our next will be a Merlot. If anyone has any great ideas/recipes or even wine-kit picks for a Merlot, I'm all ears!

Welcome

Enjoy the differences in those three projects.

Did you use the same yeast for all three?

No we didn't ~ all 3 were different. The wine-kit - our Late Harvest Riesling -came with it's own yeast and honestly, I can't recall which kind it was...it may have been one of the ones we used with one of our fruit wines?? (This is why I am now keeping a wine journal - as I seem to have short-term memory loss!)

For the plum we used Lalvin EC-1118.

For the Peach we used Lalvin 71B-1122.

Latest posts

Back