Splash vacuum racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
I was amazed on how much degassing is accomplished when vacuum racking. After it was all transferred the next step was to de-gas the wine. I tried be no gas was left after this racking. I thought I would share this short clip.

http://youtu.be/katduaa-rwY

Just make sure you are racking onto some sulfite when doing this to prevent any oxidation!

Hey Rick,

I would add a piece of racking cane (with tip) cut to length on the receiving end of the carboy so you don't have that unnecessary long drop to the bottom of the carboy. That will make the transfer a little more gentle on the wine while still degassing it on the transfer for the most part. :p

Last edited:
I agree. Im nit fond of degassing the wine this way as it introduces way too much 02. I rack it all in and then vacuum degas it which takes longer but is much more gentle on your wine and GREATLY decreases the chances of oxidizing your wine especially with wines like apple or such that are very prone to browning.

Good to know. All other racks I add tubing all the way to the bottom of the receiving carboy. Within minuites I added the sulfites. I kinda agree this one was a little too aggressive of a splash rack.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back