Other Mosto Italiano Sauv Blanc and Oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just picked up a 23 sterile juice Mosto Italiano Sauvignon Blanc.

I just opened it up to have a look see at what goodies were in the kit and there are two packets of medium toasted oak (website says 20grams) for it to ferment on as per instructions.

This seems a little strange to me as I would think that a Sauv Blanc would not have any thing to do with oak.

Any one have any experiences with similar sauv blanc kits and or with or without oak.

I'm just trying to figure out if I will hurt anything by leaving it out or if I should go a head and use it.

Sauv Blanc has Oak, Fume' Blanc no Oak.

Your choice to add or not to add. Personal choice all the way.

Sauv Blanc has Oak, Fume' Blanc no Oak.

I thought commercial Fume Blanc was barrel aged. Also, the only Fume Blanc kit I have seen included oak. Admittedly, many SB kits include oak; however, I don't use it. I didn't notice any SBs in the Winexpert catalog with oak; however, most of the Vineco SBs have oak.

Your choice to add or not to add. Personal choice all the way.
Totally agree with this comment.

Steve

When we went through Napa last Summer all the wineries selling Fume' Blanc were fermented in stainless and not oaked. I know they started out oaking Sauv Blanc to help tame the grassy notes. Now seems like they want to show the grass and make it stand out like a classic New Zealand Sauv Blanc. So who knows, seems like they just do what they want to and call it what they want but out of the dozen or so wineries we visited last year anyone selling a Fume' Blanc was very proud of the fact that it was fermented in stainless and "naked" as they say. :D

If any one was wondering I dedcided to not add the oak during fermentation, I'll keep you posted on how it works out

Latest posts

Back