Flavor Extraction in Fruit Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineyTexan

Reaction score
What is the prefered method to extract flavor from the fruit when making a must? Do you use boiling water? or do you just pour tap water over the crushed frut and use peptic enzyme? Is there any advantage to one method?

I pour the boiling water with sugar over the fruit, let it cool, and then add PE and let it sit for 12 hours.

I will let the enzymes work 12 to 24 hours. Add Yeast and punch the cap down many times a day. Keeping the fruit moist and getting rid of CO2

I'll remove the pulp like fruit @ 1.015-1.020 This will allow much of the color and flavor to be pulled out of the fruit.

When I sweeten that will bring the flavor out as well. You can save some unfermented juice to backsweeten if you like or simmer down 1/2 volume a like flavor of the wine, add it with sorbate and age a bit.

This can bring out some really good flavors.

Pouring the boiling water over the fruit is actually to kill off the wild yeast on them instead of using sulfites to hold back those wild yeast until your wine yeast of choice can start as the packets of wine yeast we use are much more tolerant of sulfites so they ca start in the presence of a higher sulfite level. Pectic enzyme should always be used to extract colors and flavors.

Back