In need of cork education

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only corks I had come back out (Partly) were corks in bottles that were filled too full and the corks were soaked in a K-Meta solution for several hours. (Yup - but they didn't break down or get mushy that I could tell results tell the tale though.)

Now I put them in a Star San solution for a few minutes (Less than 5) and then cork. No corks sliding out or refusing to stay in all the way. When I use them they don't feel wet or slippery. At first of course I was fearful of how hard it would be to get them in without some softening of the corks. (Newby fear) Now I don't work about that at all I just want to make sure that they are sanitized before using. Using the StarSan solution they really only have to be 'in contact' for 1 minute to be sanitized. So from now on that's going to me my process. A 1 minute bath then onto a clean, sanitized towel then corking in with my Bench Corker.

I kinda remember seeing that on SNL. Funny then, but frickin hilarious now that Im making wine! I cant believe them guys kept a straight face while doing that sketch. Janet Jackson had a hard time!

OK - never saw it until now. LMAO! thanks for the grin!

I'd like to kick start this thread with a question:

I'm using a #9 1.75" better-quality cork, hoping it maintains its seal for up to 5 years. Granted, I haven't had a wine survive more than 2.5 years yet... but still. Am I using the right corks (bottling a Petite Sirah in the fall and am hoping to age it for multiple years)?

Is there some decent guidance out there re: cork quality and aging potential?

I'd like to kick start this thread with a question:

I'm using a #9 1.75" better-quality cork, hoping it maintains its seal for up to 5 years. Granted, I haven't had a wine survive more than 2.5 years yet... but still. Am I using the right corks (bottling a Petite Sirah in the fall and am hoping to age it for multiple years)?

Is there some decent guidance out there re: cork quality and aging potential?

A real cork, of medium quality, #9 x 1.75" should do just fine for your goals.

Good! One website (retailer) made in sound like they were only good for a couple years. Made me a little anxious.

I've got some pretty low quality, kit supplied corks, #9 x 1.5" at almost three years old right now, no issues.

The better your storage conditions and habits, the more you can get away with, and the inverse applies as well.

I've got some pretty low quality, kit supplied corks, #9 x 1.5" at almost three years old right now, no issues.

The better your storage conditions and habits, the more you can get away with, and the inverse applies as well.

My wine is stored in the basement - no HVAC in the room (but in the rest of the basement). I keep it between 58* (dead of winter with the door closed) - 70* (hottest point in the summer with the door open) with about 55% humidity (constant). It's not optimal, I know. But, I don't have the resources to improve the room yet. Once the kids are out of the house maybe.

Latest posts

Back