Would you file a State Income tax return...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
Would you file a State Income tax return even though you weren't required to file?

Turns out that this year (my first full tax year in PA) my interest and dividends didn't add up to the amount that would require me to file (PA doesn't tax my retirement income). I'm leaning on filing anyway - just to be on record so to speak. Do you see any pros or cons one way or the other? Thanx

In truth, being on record would at best be a preventive measure. Though not likely good enough to really stop them from auditing you. The odds are probably more likely to be audited from filing than not filing.

Just keep your paperwork and you should be good without filing.

Would you file a State Income tax return even though you weren't required to file?

Turns out that this year (my first full tax year in PA) my interest and dividends didn't add up to the amount that would require me to file (PA doesn't tax my retirement income). I'm leaning on filing anyway - just to be on record so to speak. Do you see any pros or cons one way or the other? Thanx

Bill,
Help me understand, why would you file one if not required? It would be like filling out a Schedule B for taxable interest even though you didn't make enough to require it.
Now maybe it's just me but if I worked for the State, I would be suspicious if you did file one.

Bill,
Help me understand, why would you file one if not required? It would be like filling out a Schedule B for taxable interest even though you didn't make enough to require it.
Now maybe it's just me but if I worked for the State, I would be suspicious if you did file one.

Because I filed one last year I'm thinking that if they don't see one this year I might somehow or for some reason be flagged. Was never an issue when I was working and living in NY and when working and retired CT.

Question: It does not add up to enough to be taxed or filed?? I would double check the wording and if it is that you did not make enough to be "taxed", then you still need to file.

If you are not required, then I wouldn't file one,regardless of filing one last year.
However, I agree with @JohnT that you need to make sure of the exact wording.

Question: It does not add up to enough to be taxed or filed?? I would double check the wording and if it is that you did not make enough to be "taxed", then you still need to file.

Filed.

"Who must file a Personal Income Tax return?
If you are a PA resident, nonresident or a part-year PA resident, you must file a PA tax return if:

• You received total PA gross taxable income in excess of $33, even if no tax is due with your PA return; and/or
  • You incurred a loss from any transaction as an individual, sole proprietor, partner in a partnership or PA S corporation shareholder.
"

From this PA Department of Revenue site... https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/281/~/who-must-file-a-personal-income-tax-return%3F

(PA doesn't tax my retirement income)......

9253c5b2e9520394d06ef32b9764c42b71939dc83beca8333814a4bbed6265ab.jpg

I do my own taxes every year (estimated).

Then I take them to my CPA and let her do it. The only time I've ever had an issue, it was my CPA that was doing all the talking. She is worth every penny, in fact she normally pays her own fee in deductions I did not know about. Her fees are a tax deduction too. I don't want no hassles with the tax man!

My taxes have always (except once*) be relatively straight forward and easily done using anyone of the popular tax preparation software packages.

*The first year my wife had her now defunct business I used a software package and brought the results to CPA to have checked and filed. I did pretty good and from what I learned was able to, in the following years, prepare and file myself even with my wife's business.

Bill don't file, you have no taxable income. I do all my family and a few friends tax returns and once they retire and have no taxable income I do not file the state.

Bill don't file, you have no taxable income. I do all my family and a few friends tax returns and once they retire and have no taxable income I do not file the state.

Thanks Jullie, I saw that another poster made the same recommendation about not filling but it is good to hear coming from someone who lives in PA and has done taxes for retired PA folks.

Bkisel, are you sure you have no refund coming. I ,for the first time, do not have to file but will to get the taxes paid returned. Also you can web search "who has to file" and get a simple check list. Fran

Bkisel, are you sure you have no refund coming. I ,for the first time, do not have to file but will to get the taxes paid returned. Also you can web search "who has to file" and get a simple check list. Fran

Thanks... What I posted and quoted above was taken from the PA Department of Revenue site which I found doing a search similar to what you suggest. No State refund coming as I've only set up Federal tax withholding out of my various "income" streams.

Not to get too political, but....

Go through this exercise and sum all of the following up. It might be enlightening...

Federal Income Tax
State Income Tax,
Misc. other payroll taxes
Property Tax,
Sales tax on most of what you purchase (in NJ it is 7%),
Additional taxes on Cigarettes, Wine, Beer, Champagne, and Hard Liquor.
Tax on Gasoline,
Automotive taxes (tolls, registration fees, license fees, etc)

I added all of this up and it came to 61% of my base salary. This is a figure that is just as surprising as upsetting.

Not to get too political, but....

Go through this exercise and sum all of the following up. It might be enlightening...

Federal Income Tax
State Income Tax,
Misc. other payroll taxes
Property Tax,
Sales tax on most of what you purchase (in NJ it is 7%),
Additional taxes on Cigarettes, Wine, Beer, Champagne, and Hard Liquor.
Tax on Gasoline,
Automotive taxes (tolls, registration fees, license fees, etc)

I added all of this up and it came to 61% of my base salary. This is a figure that is just as surprising as upsetting.

It's not enlightening, its disturbing. :ft

They get you one way or another. I always laugh when people say we don't pay a State income tax...... I say oh really, how much did you pay in property taxes and then I tell them what I paid on property taxes and their mouth drops as I pay about 25% of what they paid. But then we have a State income tax so it's all a wash in the end. They are gonna get the money they need one way or another. Here is a pretty good short Tax breakdown on State taxes

States with the Highest and Lowest Taxes

They get you one way or another. I always laugh when people say we don't pay a State income tax...... I say oh really, how much did you pay in property taxes and then I tell them what I paid on property taxes and their mouth drops as I pay about 25% of what they paid. But then we have a State income tax so it's all a wash in the end.

We have both. :(

Latest posts

Back